(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Grounding after changing to plastic service line

Hybrid View

Default Grounding after changing to plastic service line

My #4AWG main grounding wire terminates with a clamp on my galvanized service pipe just before it leaves the house and goes out to the well, which is about 15 feet outside the house. The house plumbing is all copper. If I replace the galvanized service line with polyethylene, could I extend the #4 ground wire outside and clamp it to the steel well casing, and forgo driving two ground rods into very rocky soil? If this is allowable, is there a specific clamp designed for such a purpose?
    Last edited by JAR8832; 02-27-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Get out your hammer and start driving

Got pictures of your set-up

Isn't a well casing like a giant ground rod? This is what the termination looks like. It'll be a few months before I start this project. Thanks

A well casing is far superior than a ground rod for grounding. That said its not to code to use it for that purpose (go figure). Driving the ground rods may not go as badly as you think. I've driven them in some very rocky situations and they still go in about 80% of the time. Keep a pair of vice grips handy. They are useful in freeing up rods that only make it in part of the way. Move over two feet and try again if this happens. Nothing says they have to go straight down - you can drive them at a bit of an angle if you need to.

FYI you are supposed to ground the well casing. Where I am no one does it, but to do it all you have to do is drill a hole near the top of the casing, attach a lug using a bolt for the correct gauge wire you are using, and connect it to the ground wire that should have already been run from the panel to the pump - that is assuming your pump even has a ground wire. Also, feel free to run a piece of #4 from your panel to the well head and say it is there to ground the well casing as this will meet code (again, go figure). However, you will still have to drive the ground rods as you can't claim the well as your grounding electrode, even if it is.

rick
    Last edited by drick; 02-28-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In the Seattle area, anytime we do a repipe that removes metal pipe and changes to non-ferrous piping, we're required to use two grounding rods.

DIY Senior Member Homeownerinburb's Avatar

Rent a 30lb jack hammer. In very rocky soil it may take even an hour with a jack hammer, per rod. But it always works for me. It can be quite exhausting, to be up a ladder with a heavy tool that vibrates viciously, and is only driving the blasted rod 1/16" per minute, demanding that you lean on the wretched thing. But it will do the trick.