(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: When is a toilet vent not required?

  1. #1
    DIY Member grahamW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30

    Default When is a toilet vent not required?

    Can anyone advise when a toilet vent isn't required in Ontario? I have a small 2 piece bathroom on the mainfloor and the toilet enters a 3" stack directly without a vent. The sink connects to this same stack and has a 1.5" vent.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    DIY Senior Member dlarrivee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    It does require a vent.

    The stack itself is likely 3" or 4", and I'm guessing nothing ties into it above your 2 piece bathroom?

    There are certain distances that must be adhered to, but the stack itself is venting the w/c for you here I imagine.

  3. #3
    DIY Member grahamW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Thanks for the quick reply dlarrivee! Indeed, the 'stack' is 3" and only contains the toilet with the one sink connection. It directly enters the main sewage line beneath the slab. I have yet to find the sink vent but I suspect it is 1.5".

    I was hoping for a 2" vent so I could tie in new basement drain and a laundry tub/drain. It looks like I'll be putting a 2" vent up to the attic after all.

  4. #4
    DIY Senior Member dlarrivee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamW View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply dlarrivee! Indeed, the 'stack' is 3" and only contains the toilet with the one sink connection. It directly enters the main sewage line beneath the slab. I have yet to find the sink vent but I suspect it is 1.5".

    I was hoping for a 2" vent so I could tie in new basement drain and a laundry tub/drain. It looks like I'll be putting a 2" vent up to the attic after all.
    You're better off trying to go straight up with your 2" vent than trying to tie into an existing horizontal one anyhow... you need to bore fairly large holes for 2" lines.

  5. #5
    DIY Member grahamW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlarrivee View Post
    You're better off trying to go straight up with your 2" vent than trying to tie into an existing horizontal one anyhow... you need to bore fairly large holes for 2" lines.
    Thanks, the problem is that it isn't a straight, vertical run to my attic. Will need one major jog as the roof level is split. Oh, and I hate distrubing all that blown insulation up there.

  6. #6
    Certified Plumber Plumber1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    16

    Default

    more than likely your sink goes directly into the 3 inch stack. and you dont have to run 2 inch for a vent

  7. #7

    Default

    you can run a 1-1/2" vent for what you want to add in the basement and tie it into your stack above flood level rim of the uppermost fixture (sink)

  8. #8
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,687

    Default

    YOU do not know venting, so why don't you get a plumber who DOES, and maybe he will install the vent the easy way. IT does NOT require a vent when your local code says it does not, but you have to contact your building department to find out.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  9. #9
    Certified Plumber Plumber1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    YOU do not know venting, so why don't you get a plumber who DOES, and maybe he will install the vent the easy way. IT does NOT require a vent when your local code says it does not, but you have to contact your building department to find out.
    thats why hes here, to ask for help. dont be a dick plumber. and IT ALWAYS rewuires a vent, where did you learn plumbing

  10. #10
    DIY Junior Member MikeON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    gueph, Ontario
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Toilet can run up to 3m (9.8 feet) horizontally and maximum in changing direction of 225 degree before it needs a vent .
    2006 Ontario Code, part 7, sentence 7.5.6.3.(2)

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeON View Post
    Toilet can run up to 3m (9.8 feet) horizontally and maximum in changing direction of 225 degree before it needs a vent .
    2006 Ontario Code, part 7, sentence 7.5.6.3.(2)
    Just to add to this:

    The distance between the toilet connection (flange) and vent pipe can also be 1m vertical and 3m horizontal. meaning you can drop 1m on the vertical plane from toilet flange and 3m horizontally before requiring a vent connection

  12. #12
    DIY Junior Member MikeON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    gueph, Ontario
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Can it add up ? If it runs horizontal only, the maximum distance from the center of 3" elbow (just below the flange) to a vent is 4m ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeplummer View Post
    Just to add to this:

    The distance between the toilet connection (flange) and vent pipe can also be 1m vertical and 3m horizontal. meaning you can drop 1m on the vertical plane from toilet flange and 3m horizontally before requiring a vent connection

  13. #13

    Default

    nope...it will always run vertical.....think of your connection to flange = vertical. that is where you can go up to 1m....you can only go from that vertical to horizontal once...it cannot offset from horizontal to vertical again until after the vent connection

  14. #14
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,687

    Default

    quote; IT ALWAYS rewuires a vent, where did you learn plumbing

    I learned plumbing under a GOOD code, but a lot of people are working under the IPC, which is an "anything goes" code and therefore I have heard that it does not always require a vent for a toilet. Their thinking, apparently being, that since a toilet is an "S" trap already, a vent would not help it flush any better.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  15. #15
    Plumber Sean Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeplummer View Post
    nope...it will always run vertical.....think of your connection to flange = vertical. that is where you can go up to 1m....you can only go from that vertical to horizontal once...it cannot offset from horizontal to vertical again until after the vent connection
    It can. I queried this with my plumbing professor. He said it could drop 0.5m from the flange, run 3m horizontally and the drop 0.5 vertically before connecting to a vent.

Similar Threads

  1. is Vent required for this specific sink?
    By whaleit in forum IPC Plumbing Code Questions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 07:27 PM
  2. Extra vent required?
    By exeunt in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 07:24 PM
  3. Power vent water heater required?
    By rick.a in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 05:25 PM
  4. Basement floor drain - vent required?
    By mao in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 05:47 AM
  5. sink pump vent required??
    By snowballbp in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 11:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •