GE Smartsoft model gxsf23z01 issues

Users who are viewing this thread

creations15

Reaction score
Good evening. I have a GE SmartSoft Water Softener model number GXSF23Z01 that i've had for 10 years. I had a venturi gasket go out about 3 years ago and replaced without issue. Has worked perfect ever since.... Until now it isn't. I've cleaned the venturi and drained the water down to the salt level and it seems to be quite high, as in higher than the float switch. It isn't producing soft water and I have no clue as to what to do now other than call a technician. I'm a pretty handy individual but the manual of course gives me no other guidance other than to clean the venturi. Please help!

Keith

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect there's something broken in the valve itself. GE's are not designed to last much more than 7 years.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Check the drain line to make sure there are no kinks or that it isn't frozen.

Check the brine line fittings to make sure they are tight and not allowing air to be sucked instead of heavy brine water.

If the control valve goes from one cycle position to another during a regeneration, then the control valve is probably OK.

Go here for more on troubleshooting;
http://www.kenmorewater.com/

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the manual that I have back in the parts break down there are some parts that are for the brine, a rubber seal that looks like an 8 and then there is a plunger and spring.
One of those could be a problem or it could be the the seals , one rubber and the other a silicon like seal are no longer in good shape and need to be replaced.
All of this is working on the idea that the venturi is clean and in working order.

creations15

Reaction score
The valve is rotating through all of the cycles but the level of water doesn't ever appear to be changing. It appears that through every cycle all of the water is flowing out of the drain line into my septic system, not through the tank itself, unless that is normal operation, I don't know. I finally noticed an err01 code, which I've never seen before since I've never stood here for an hour watching this thing cycle and unplugged machine and checked wiriing to ensure connections but still repeats err01. Any advice?

Keith

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't suppose you have the manual do you? There's nothing on Kenmore's (GE) web site other than the animations and they don't address specific error codes but it sounds like one of the valves in the head is stuck open.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The valve is rotating through all of the cycles but the level of water doesn't ever appear to be changing. It appears that through every cycle all of the water is flowing out of the drain line into my septic system, not through the tank itself, unless that is normal operation, I don't know. I finally noticed an err01 code, which I've never seen before since I've never stood here for an hour watching this thing cycle and unplugged machine and checked wiriing to ensure connections but still repeats err01. Any advice?

Keith
Error codes say there is a fault with the electronics. The motor, micro switch including the wiring and meter wiring could be at fault. Err 1 is most likely the motor. If the motor turns normally, check the micro switch and wiring. With a faulty micro switch or wiring, the motor would continue to turn until an error code makes it stop. As far as the unit not drawing brine, remove the brine line at the valve and put unit in a draw cycle. If you have no draw, it's most likely a fault in the venturi. If you have a drip or fill, it's most likely the fig 8 o ring or drain plugged but be caused by other things.

Last edited:

creations15

Reaction score
No more error code since I reseated the white wire into place but still need to figure out why system not working/drawing water out of brine tank

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score

creations15

Reaction score
So am I taking the black line off of the Float switch that is inside the brine tank? The float switch would be currently shut off as there is too much water or does that mean the brine tank can't fill any higher? Sorry for the idiot questions, but again the manual is not very clear as indicated.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your unit or any other unit will more times than not.. will have no problem putting water into the salt tank .. but the pulling out part.. that is the part that all the pieces have to come together right for it to work, any of the items not right and it will not work.

Get the system to the brine draw, once it is in the brine draw remove the tan nut that holds the black tube to the venturi. If water is coming out then the venturi is bad or there is a problem inside the valve that will need to be fixed.

creations15

Reaction score
with brine line off the left side of the venturi, in F mode water is shooting out the side of the valve. in BE mode water is draining out of the system into my septic but not from my tank. In BW mode I don't see anything happening. Now midway through BW mode, something is draining but not my tank. In R mode something is draining, doesn't appear to be my tank

Last edited:

creations15

Reaction score
I didn't see a BR mode on the wheel but could have missed it. Would I see the level in the brine tank go down? With the line off or on?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
with brine off in F mode water is shooting out the side of the valve. in BE mode water is draining out of the system into my septic. In BW mode I don't see anything happening. Now midway through BW mode, something is draining but not my tank. In R mode something is draining, doesn't appear to be my tank
The F is the fill cycle and water should be coming out of the venturi. The BE I believe is actually BR which is the brining cycle. The water running to the drain should have slowed quite a bit and it should be drawing brine. If not, is it dripping water out?

creations15

Reaction score
The F cycle water is shooting out the side of the venturi valve when the brine line is disconnected. in BE mode, something is draining into my septic but I can't see the level in the Brine Tank getting any lower. would the float switch being all the way at the top stop this from happening? With the unit in BE mode, there is no water shooting out of the side of the Venturi so does that mean the Venturi is working properly?

creations15

Reaction score
ok, in BR mode water is dripping out of the Venturi valve when I take off the Brine Line. Suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks