Moen 1200 cartridge - can I just replace the rings??

Users who are viewing this thread

Nards01

Reaction score
I have a used Moen 1200 (brass) cartridge. The shower was dripping so I replaced it with a 1225. I now need to fix a different shower and I'm wondering if can re-use the brass one by simply replacing the four o-rings on it?? I figure bad rings are really what causes it to leak correct???

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Replace the stem. If you call Moen's 800# they will send you a new stem free of charge.

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Repair kits are sold. If your time, and the risk of a call-back , are of no consequence, give it a shot. I never did it so I don't have any feel for the success rate of rebuilding these.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are three internal "O" rings and unless your time is completely worthless it is not a good idea to try to replace them. It takes a very special tool to extract them. The only time I have ever done it was when it was the only expedient way to fix the valve. 1-800-BUYMOEN will get you a new cartridge.

moen-1200-1225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wallhanger

Reaction score
There are three internal "O" rings and unless your time is completely worthless it is not a good idea to try to replace them. It takes a very special tool to extract them. The only time I have ever done it was when it was the only expedient way to fix the valve. 1-800-BUYMOEN will get you a new cartridge.

Hi, re special tool. Is that something to remove that C clip at the top of the Brass Cartridge without it breaking your glasses or lodging in your forehead?

If so--being curious, what does it cost and where do you get one?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I took a 1200 apart tinkering never put it back in service. Ive spent a lot of time tinkering with stuff not worth my time so to speak, So on your own house if you have a spare cartridge and some o rings why not. Actually Ive got quite a supply of orings for diferant things like my pressure washer and I have calipers Save few bucks here and there but generaly not the best time spent unless figuring things out is satisfying to you. If you think changing oil on your own car is a waste of time then this is too. But I dont trust a teenager changing my oil lol

wallhanger

Reaction score
If so--being curious, what does it cost and where do you get one?
Never mind, they are not very "springy" and after a lot of "slipping off" I was able to get hold of an end of the clip with needlenose pliers and get it off the cartridge. I'm finding only 2 orings on the stem inside.

wallhanger

Reaction score
I can't find a way to delete posts and start over with specific replies to specific posts.

As far as op's question goes: there are orings on the outside, yes, but there are also orings on the inner stem.
You have to remove the snap ring holding the inner stem in and then pull the stem out.

The problem though, with the brass cartridges is that the metal itself will be damaged. The brass plating may be partly gone. The cartridge surface may be covered in mineral deposits. The brass plating will be worn from the cartridge. There will be oxidation, pits and striations. So even when you replace the orings and use silicone grease on the cartridge, you are still putting back in service metal which has surface damage which is likely equivalent to at least a minimum of 2-3 years of exposure to water, chemicals and minerals.

Last edited:

wallhanger

Reaction score
Old cartridges, repair kits. This picture won't expand so you can't see kit part numbers or corrosion damage. Ace 45487. Danco 89018.

The danco kit is needed for plastic cartridges if it is necessary to replace the rubber side panels.

I think the two largest o-rings are faucet spout o-rings for some kitchen faucets like my Moen Legend.

Attachments

• Moen oring pic lower res.jpg
    Moen oring pic lower res.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks