Well Pump Size

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't read all of the posts where pump size is discussed obviously, so it's easier to ask rather than read them all:

What's they typical well pump size you see or install for your area?

Thanks.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pump gets sized to the delivery of the well and the expected demand. There is no typical pump size. That's why pump manufacturers make a bunch of them.

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pump gets sized to the delivery of the well and the expected demand. There is no typical pump size. That's why pump manufacturers make a bunch of them.

I do understand that. However, there is a reasonable standard that I would think you would be seeing for your area. I can tell you right now what is "typical" for a residential here.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I dont work on wells but somtimes I turn the power off to well pumps. usually on a 40 or 50 amp breaker if that means anything to those that service them. Pumps are usually within 50' of the breaker panel.

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is 5 GPM per bathroom. That number can easily change if you have showers with multiple heads or irrigation demands.

Thanks. I know that well production, column/static, depth, etc. is needed to customize and get the best efficiency.

But what HP & GPM pump does that typically translate into for anyone reading's area?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
For a 100' deep well that would be a 3/4HP. For an 800' deep well it might be 5HP. Accross the country wells can vary that much in depth, which is why they make so many different size pumps. But I would say the average is a 3/4HP, 10 GPM or a 1HP, 15 GPM.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, I guess if you held my feet to the fire and made me consult my sales data base we probably put more 1/2hp 7gpm pumps in, in this area around my office than anything else but again, I don't have to go too far north or west and then we can get into much greater well depths, sometimes as much as 800' or so.

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here we see in the majority 1/2HP-3/4HP around 10GPM with the curve lowering as static drops. A 1HP now and again. I don't remember ever seeing anything above that on residential. Almost zero irrigation here though.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would suspect that if you were to ask Goulds or Grundfos that 1/2hp or 3/4hp. 10gpm are probably their biggest sellers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks