Tub Spout Leaks When Shower In Use

Users who are viewing this thread

DarylD

Reaction score
When the shower is on there is water also coming from the tub spout. This also reduces the water pressure for the shower. The building is a multi level apartment building. Would appreciate any advice.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
When the shower is on there is water also coming from the tub spout. This also reduces the water pressure for the shower. The building is a multi level apartment building. Would appreciate any advice.

How do you divert the water to between the tub and the shower? Is it a handle on the wall in the center or is it a knob/ring on the spout that you pull up or down? Take a picture. How much water are we talkin?

Plumber111: My spouts must be broke because they do not leak while in shower mode. Delta!

DarylD

Reaction score
Handle is on wall. Quite a bit of water comes from the tub spout when shower is on.

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hackney, I've seem many from many brands that leak some. Even when new.

I just don't consider some leakage necessarily an immediate rebuild recommendation. Maybe that's what I was trying to get across.

Now a question where I might learn something. If say...a Delta push button diverter does not leak, how does it release after turning the valve off?

Thanks.

DarylD

Reaction score
Age of building is 12 years which is when all the fittings were installed. I think it is a Delta, same as kitchen fittings. Can't see any name.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Hackney, I've seem many from many brands that leak some. Even when new.

I just don't consider some leakage necessarily an immediate rebuild recommendation. Maybe that's what I was trying to get across.

Now a question where I might learn something. If say...a Delta push button diverter does not leak, how does it release after turning the valve off?

Thanks.

I guess all diverter spouts are not equal. I have Delta spouts that you pull the end of the spout down and that activates the shower. They do not leak. The push button diverter is suppose to reset when the water is turned off. It has a spring in it that pops itself back out once you turn the water off. It may have a drip but it should never be a stream. My delta spouts with the integral diverter do not leak any water.

Same for a kitchen faucet with side spray. When you push the spray button it should shut ALL the water off to the spout. It shouldn't even drip under normal water pressure.....if its on the high side it can drip a bit but never should be a stream.

Last edited:

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess all diverter spouts are not equal. I have Dleta spouts that you pull the end of the spout down and that activates the shower. They do not leak. The push button diverter is suppose to reset when the water is turned off. It has a spring in it that pops itself back out once you turn the water off. It may have a drip but it should never be a stream. My delta spouts with the integral diverter do not leak any water.

Thanks. Understood.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Keep in mind also its not like plumbing spouts are anywhere near perfect pieces of precision made products.......most of them are junk. I get what your saying about some of them leak and I agree they do. Its not a requirement tho and it is totally wasted water. I just had a service call where it leaked so much it was making the water pool up around the person feet because it hit the drain perfect and the shower had a high flow rate. 6 gpm.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Supposed too.

I can't really support that statement! If he said he had drips coming from spout...that is one thing. But he has enough leakage that pressure to shower head is low. The diverter mechanism, be it onboard the shower valve, or on the spout, appears to be defective.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Many diverter spouts are "supposed" to drip so they can reset before the next shower. Spring loaded ones such as the Delta and Moen internal diverters or Delta's pull down diverter will reset against the pressure so they can seal tightly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks