Un-stick PVC Joint that got a little primer in it? (Kerdi Drain)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hiperco

Reaction score
I'm working on a Schluter Kerdi shower, and installed the riser for the kerdi drain yesterday. In order to ensure the riser was plumb, I had the kerdi drain dry fit to the top of it, with the intent to pull off the drain once the riser was set. This morning I find that I CANNOT pull the kerdi drain off the riser :mad: . I have to assume I got some primer in the joint. Any suggestions on how I might be able to separate the drain at this point, without ruining it?

Hiperco

Reaction score
Whew, I got it off.

Obviously I was too liberal with the primer, and some ran down while I was handling the assembly:

Attachments

• P1000384 (Medium).jpg
    P1000384 (Medium).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 326
  • P1000385 (Medium).jpg
    P1000385 (Medium).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 331
  • P1000386 (Medium).jpg
    P1000386 (Medium).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 335

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yeah I was curious because the drain would be on top and the trap on the bottom. Primer doesn't run up.....it runs down. Use a rag to wipe up excess primer and solvent.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your biggest mistake was dry fitting. PVC has what is called and interference fit which means when you dry fit it together, it wedges in and is very difficult to remove. The solvent liquifies the surfaces of the pipe and fitting so the pipe will slide into the fitting and bottom out. Primer and PVC cement do not stick the pipe and fitting, the joint is chemically welded.

Hiperco

Reaction score
Although what you said is typically true, the kerdi drain will allow a full dry fit without issue. It still comes apart unless you are sloppy with the primer like I was ;)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I was surprised at that, but noticed that the Kerdi drains I've played with have what seems like very little taper to their socket, and you can bottom it out on a riser and still get it off without contortions as long as it is dry. The primer has some solvent in it, but not as much as the cement, so getting any of it on a joint will make things sticky.

FWIW, the primer and cement will easily eat a hole in their foam tray or curb material...I can tell you that from experience! Not generally a problem as a bit of thinset will fill it in, but don't spill a lot!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks