Pfister Avalon Shower/Tub Kit and 0X8-310A Valve - Wobbly handle when installed

Users who are viewing this thread

AndyL

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a solution to this? I called the Pfister customer service & was told to buy a handle that does not require to be attached to the extension screw of the valve. Thank you for any input.

pp_ox8_parts.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think PP blew you off. That IS how the Avalon handle attaches, it may be a little flimsy if you don't get the extension screw and the set screw very tight
http://s7d1.scene7.com/is/content/Pfister/ex-808-05

If there is an alternate handle set up available, THEY need to tell you. I am not aware of it. NOW, there are many PP trims available for the OX8, and maybe PP is telling you the avalon is crap and you should just get different trim set.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are screwing a 1" metal extension into a plastic stem and then hanging a large metal handle on the end of it. Why WOULDN'T it seem "flimsy". They are probably referring to something like the Avante crystal handle, or something similar, which attaches directly to the stem.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
You can use a 940-240 PP acrylic handle. Its the only handle that does not require the use of the stem extender. All of the metal handles require the use of the stem extender. If you have a valve thats been roughed in too deep in the wall you cannot use the acrylic handle.

The 940-240 uses a screw that secures the handle directly to the cartridge.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
If it is too deep, then he needs the extension kit.

Unless they make an extension kit specifically for the acrylic handle he may not can use it. That I do not know but they probably do. The extension kit for the metal handle for sure wouldn't jive.

Good point HJ.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The extension kit extends both the plastic stem and the retainer tube, so the metal handle would attach to it, just as if it were the original stem.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The extension kit extends both the plastic stem and the retainer tube, so the metal handle would attach to it, just as if it were the original stem.

The extensions i've seen on the PP website is only for the metal handle. The extender for the metal handle is different than for the acrylic handle. I'm not for sure they make an extension for the acrylic handle. I know its different if they do. It would need to be shaped to fit the stem on the cartridge. The extension for the metal handle requires the handle have a set screw.,it will not work with the acrylic handle.

This is one reason I do not care for most price pfister products. Its mickey mouse stuff at best. The products are constantly being discontinued and replaced with different....

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We would like to hear from Pfister's "social media" guy who lurks here. Is there an alternative to OP's "floppy" handle? It does seem at recent years that models change more often than my underwear! What happened to the Pfirst Series?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks