How to dismantle 1997 rjs-50 red lion jet pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

rustyIdaho

Reaction score
I want to repair our cast iron rjs-50 red lion shallow well jet pump. Serial no. 2597, meaning 25th week of 1997 I learned. Motor would run but it doesn't deliver or move prime water.

I took off the four bolts and with a fair bit of pulling split the motor from the pump casing. Now, however, I can't figure out how to get into the casing to check impeller. Apparently the shaft was at least partly unscrewed already, and this allowed me to pull casing / impeller compartment from the motor. But I can't figure out how to open the seal plate -- seems tightly pressed without any entry mechanism. I'll attach photos.

P1010631.jpgP1010632.jpg

Attachments

• P1010633.jpg
    P1010633.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 3,289
Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry, I thought someone with one of these might help. Looks like just the seal plate is stuck. If you can get in from the suction side, you should be able to knock it out the back.

rustyIdaho

Reaction score
Thanks. Yep, just was stuck. Whacking it no good, but an old knife along the gasket and a hammer pried it off. It was difficult to tell there was a seam there.

For reference, Red Lion parts seem very hard to find, but D&B supply in Idaho carries impellers and rebuild kits in their Caldwell store. And they were very helpful.

Michael Locke

Reaction score
Thanks. Yep, just was stuck. Whacking it no good, but an old knife along the gasket and a hammer pried it off. It was difficult to tell there was a seam there.

For reference, Red Lion parts seem very hard to find, but D&B supply in Idaho carries impellers and rebuild kits in their Caldwell store. And they were very helpful.

I resorted to cutting along the gasket with a large box cutter and then using one of the cutter blade's tapped on it with a hammer in several spots. I then used cables an a comealong to apply pressure between casting and motor.
Rubber mallet failed, broke all the rules by prying to brake the casting from the motor. Hope this helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks