(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing faucets on 1940's sink

Default Replacing faucets on 1940's sink

Hi all,

We have a 1940' sink in our bathroom in which the faucets need replacing (they squeek and we're getting vibration & thumping), and the area around the drain needs to be cleaned up (porca-fix?). Everything else works fine- no leaks or smells. Initially I didn't think it would be too difficult to buy new faucets/spout/drain and replace them, but as I'm learning more I'm realizing it might be a fairly big project, and so wanted to run it by you awesome folks here. We like the look of our current sink and of our bathroom as a whole, and don't want to spend a ton of money, so was hoping to not have to replace it. I'm ok with the overflow cover not exactly matching the finish of the other parts. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Name:  IMG_2001.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  42.6 KBName:  IMG_1999.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  36.7 KBName:  IMG_1997.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  18.6 KBName:  IMG_1876.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  21.8 KBName:  IMG_1875.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  26.7 KB

Don't touch that drain and overflow. Gonna' be in a world of hurt fast.

I like the old porcelain or chrome cross handle faucets on something like this.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Thats a price pfister widespread lavatory faucet. Easy to repair and parts are available. Or you can replace the entire faucet. I dont do fixture touch up or refinishing..

Good to know about that drain- thanks.

What do you think about getting this http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...3/product.html to get replacement faucets, and possibly the spout? So far I haven't seen anywhere to get items not as a set.

Saw the Kohler - nice but too many $$$$$s by a long shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hackney plumbing View Post
    Thats a price pfister widespread lavatory faucet. Easy to repair and parts are available. Or you can replace the entire faucet. I dont do fixture touch up or refinishing..
    It looks to me like the spout and drain are original, and the faucets have been replaced (or maybe just badly repaired)?

Quote Originally Posted by so-sa View Post
    Good to know about that drain- thanks.

What do you think about getting this http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...3/product.html to get replacement faucets, and possibly the spout? So far I haven't seen anywhere to get items not as a set.
    I really like the looks and price of that. But there are some things that I have to mention.

I know nothing about Metropolitan Faucets or their internal workings. In my experience, all faucets leak and need maintenance at some point. All of them.

Can you get parts for these things?

They could be something like Pegasus. (HD house brand here) A super pain to find parts for. HD doesn't carry them, and you have to go through phone calls to here, there and wherever else to the point I could have already changed the faucet before you finally track down the part.

And the chrome finish may or may not be as well made. That can be a gamble as well.

Kind of depends on what you're willing to try and how long you plan to stay there.

Yep, I'm concerned about that as well- it's made by Kingston Brass (anyone have any experience with their products?), in the USofA. Here's a link to it on their site- they do sell parts as well- will do some research on that:

http://www.kingstonbrass.com/Product...461AL#KS4461AL

Quote Originally Posted by Plumber111 View Post
    I really like the looks and price of that. But there are some things that I have to mention.

I know nothing about Metropolitan Faucets or their internal workings. In my experience, all faucets leak and need maintenance at some point. All of them.

Can you get parts for these things?

They could be something like Pegasus. (HD house brand here) A super pain to find parts for. HD doesn't carry them, and you have to go through phone calls to here, there and wherever else to the point I could have already changed the faucet before you finally track down the part.

And the chrome finish may or may not be as well made. That can be a gamble as well.

Kind of depends on what you're willing to try and how long you plan to stay there.

That faucet is a PP Verve widespread, from the '70s or '80s. Drain is orginal, and would be troublesome if you mess with it.
    Many of the questions on the forum here are from folks who buy a faucet on the web, like on the bay or the list, or etc etc. Trouble starts as soon as it arrives at their house, usually!

The new widespread faucet will come WITH a spout and drain. There is no problem replacing the drain assembly, just to NOT damage the "spacer" between the sink and the drain fitting. Removing the old faucet is usually the most difficult part of the replacement. The bottom nuts are corroded, but the top ones are not. Just remove those two nuts and valve bodies will drop out of the sink. You will need a 3/4" deep socket to loosen the spout. It is either a fancy pressed steel sink or a cheap china one, since they are the only ones that usually do not have an integral overflow component.
    Last edited by hj; 02-23-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

The lavatory appears to be cast iron. The lavatory is thin and the overflow adds thickness. Between the overflow and the lavatory,thats a mack washer turned upside down. That lavatory drain uses two mack washers......one under the bottom and one between the lavatory and the overflow. A mack washer is what comes one a pop up to seal the drain. Pop up assemblies only come with one.....you need two.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    The new widespread faucet will come WITH a spout and drain. There is no problem replacing the drain assembly, just to NOT damage the "spacer" between the sink and the drain fitting. Removing the old faucet is usually the most difficult part of the replacement.
    I was looking around for the faucets separately without any luck other than the generic hardware store ones. Any advice or tricks to overcome the challenges of removing them and possibly the spout? I am decently handy and have some tools, would this be something it'd be better to call a plumber in for?

Hackney plumbing
    The lavatory appears to be cast iron. The lavatory is thin and the overflow adds thickness. Between the overflow and the lavatory,thats a mack washer turned upside down. That lavatory drain uses two mack washers......one under the bottom and one between the lavatory and the overflow. A mack washer is what comes one a pop up to seal the drain. Pop up assemblies only come with one.....you need two.
    I'd love to replace the drain as well (mostly in order to get a functioning stopper, and to make the porcelain repair better). It appears getting a second mac washer wouldn't be a problem, so just maybe this is doable, except that I'm a bit confused about how the whole thing goes together. Is it possible to replace the drain without damaging/replacing the spacer/mac washer?

Sooo...I'm heartened to not be hearing "run away from it" like the fellow that used the bendy straw on his 1940's sink was advised earlier, and that I did my research before my purchasing anything! I do need to figure out the reputation of Kingston Brass, they do have a ten year *limited* warranty, and am finding them on other sites.

Your drain looks like a PP, installed with the faucet. It looks like the nut is not froze up too bad, but we sometimes just hacksaw above the nut. The problem is the overflow fitting....if it gets damaged you are in trouble. But it doesn't look too bad, at least from the underside. If you are reasonably handy, just have a go at it. That fat "mack" gasket is readily available, but not necessarily in a box store.

DO NOT touch the overflow fitting or the "spacer" between the drain and the sink. Those a parts specific to that sink, not part of the drain assembly which will come with the new faucet. There are literally HUNDREDS of faucets which will work on the sink, adn they will ALL have a new drain assembly and pop-up unit..
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber