HELP! What to do with cast iron(?) shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

timmyers15

Reaction score
Hi. I'm currently in the middle of tiled shower remodel (shower was built in 1920's). Below is pic of shower drain right now. My question: can the top two pieces (I believe they are called clamping ring and drain barrel?) be removed so the original drain base can still be used with the new shower pan. Spoke with one plumber that wants to cut out all around the drain in the cement subfloor (this is 2nd floor bathroom with no underneath access, BTW) and replace the trap and part of the drain line running into it. This scares me because I'm afraid it will require a long run of the old (presumably) cast iron drain line to also be replaced, and lots of demo in places I don't want demo'ed :)

Any thoughts, ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

drain2.jpgdrain1.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Was that an old lead liner? Not sure you'll get that apart. You need to chip out some more of the old mudbed to expose the drain line and trap. What you see, may not be in good shape, or it could be fine. You don't want to build a new shower on top of it and then discover that the trap and drain line are not in very good shape.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Go with the plumber who wants to install the new p-trap and shower drain. If you use a pvc shower liner,make sure you pre-slope the foor before the pvc pan is installed. make sure a water test is done to insure the pan does not leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks