Ultramax Flushing Properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lkstaack

Reaction score
I was disappointed when my new Ultramax clogged on the third day of use. It made me wonder if it is flushing properly; it flushes differently than the 3 gal toilet it replaced. The Ultramax "gulps" more than it flushes. The flush is very quick...similar to the old toilet when you didn't push the handle all the way down. It seems to use all the water in the holding tank though. Does this sound like proper operation? Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When you push the lever down and release, only part of the water will flush down out of the tank.
Most of the water will remain.

You can plug any bowl. Sometimes with a new bowl, I see people giving it the "acid test" It's not meant to replace your garbage service.

Most of the water for the flush is below the surface. The flush starts before you see any rinse from the top of the bowl.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on what you used, on occasion, when setting a new toilet, if you aren't careful, you can get the wax ring such that it partly obstructs the discharge. And, if you happened to use a wax ring with a plastic funnel, sometimes they can get offset and partly collapse; or, if the funnel is wider than the opening of the flange, it gets a crimp in it.

But, any toilet, if you fill it up with toilet paper is going to have a problem. It truely amazes me how much some people use! Some types are much worse than others, too.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Terry mentioned in his reply, low flow toilets do not use the entire tank of water per flush. They usually will use about 1/2 of the tank supply. If you hold the flush handle down, then the tank will empty, and you will have lost the low flow feature. The "extra" water in the tank is to provide a bit more pressure for the flush. If the the tank is emptying with just the normal flush action, then the flapper is not adjusted properly. And yes, the flushing actions is different, but if it clogs, there is another problem as Jim mentions in his post.

Lkstaack

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. Terry, based upon my description above, does it sound like my toilet operates properly?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Drop a penny into the bottom of the bowl, and then flush.
The coin will disappear before the flush looks like anything is happening.

It is different then a Washdown bowl. The washdown has no siphon jet opening. All of the water sweeps down from the front of the bowl and under the rim.

The siphon jet mainly uses water from below the water surface.

For 99% percent of the people, the trapway works fine; it's about 2" plus.
There is a less then 1% that requires something larger.
Paper makes a difference. Paper with a lot of cotton content will stick in the bowl if too much is used. Charmin is the worst for that.

Toilet Paper Poll

Because 99 of every 100 flushes will be less than 350g, a MaP-approved toilet fixture must flush at least 350g (12 oz) of sold waste. [ Note: In 2003 half of the fixtures tested could not even flush 250 g of waste! ]

adding_test_media.jpg

Formed to be in a shape that is 4" by 3/4" which is what the 99% have.

Years ago, they used Miso Paste like this. Now they wrap the miso paste in plastic and the bowls will now handle more of the media because the plastic will slip through easier then the paste did. Test numbers are now higher.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks