(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clack WS1 Draw issue

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    If you haven't figered it out yet, I disagree.

That's based on my selling over a thousand softeners to DIYers over the years starting in 1992 and installing and/or servicing thousands of others starting in 1989.
    Well that's what the trouble may be. You are not instructing your customers according the the manual. Nowhere did I see were it states you us a tool.

Manual! Starting in 1989 I bought component parts in bulk and assembled my equipment myself out of my inventory. That included making my own distributor tubes, Turbulators and the Technetic dual distributor tubes. When I started selling online I ordered each of the component parts and had them shipped to my customers and emailed them my instructions of what to do when, how and in most cases why; such as how to tighten the brine line fittings and I didn't have brine line fittings sucking air or any other problems with brine systems.

But you can do it any way you want to.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

http://jobs.com/
    Here is the link for posting resumes.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Manuals from the manufacturer??? What a waSte of time. I am far more experienced than any engineer will ever be from Fleck or Clack!

Anyway... If it is a Jaco fitting, they are supposed to be tightened hand tight plus 1-1/2 turns with a wrench, this is direct from the manufacturer. I met with them last week and it was part of a discussion. But, in the same sentence, that is the companies line, they also agree that for standard poly tubing, "very" hand tight is fine. So we are all wrong, and right. Now lets all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

I find it hard to believe that we had that many posts on how to tighten a fitting but then again.......most responding ain't plumbers LOL.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

IMO based on my experience of servicing equipment sold and installed by plumbers, they were the worst offenders of over tightening problems, among others like installing equipment backwards. They should stick with putting pipes together and telling tall stories of how fast they can do that. lol
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    IMO based on my experience of servicing equipment sold and installed by plumbers, they were the worst offenders of over tightening problems, among others like installing equipment backwards. They should stick with putting pipes together and telling tall stories of how fast they can do that. lol
    I was on a job recently where the plumber was installing the compresion fitting on the fleck 5600 valves brine line. He literally "grunted" when he tightend the 3/8" compression fitting.

Gorilla plumber!

Must be a western or southern thing. Plumbers in the North east know better
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

So... I have installed the new parts this morning, which consisted of injector, piston and stack. I did the injector by itself and had no luck. Then the stack and piston. Comparing the two stacks and the rubber seals, the new rubber seals were nice and round, while the old ones looked quite flat and/or angular. Put in the new stack assembly and it is sucking brine like a champion. Now to figure out how to program it!

Do you have the manual? if not Clack used to put it on their site but I see that it's not there now so.... try this one
    http://www.qualitywaterforless.com/v...ack/WS1INS.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BobGimley View Post
    So... I have installed the new parts this morning, which consisted of injector, piston and stack. I did the injector by itself and had no luck. Then the stack and piston. Comparing the two stacks and the rubber seals, the new rubber seals were nice and round, while the old ones looked quite flat and/or angular. Put in the new stack assembly and it is sucking brine like a champion. Now to figure out how to program it!
    Injectors rarely to never go bad. They do block up with rust though which is easy to clean out.

I'm glad to see your new stack and pistons solved the problem, as I knew they would.

The 'manual' that Tom linked to isn't The Manual you should have but it shows how to program the valve. Except they don't change much from the default settings.

You need to have current hardness, iron and manganese test results (manganese is fairly rare and most dealers etc. do not test for it) if on your own well or a non chlorinated community well.

If on city water, use the highest hardness in the entire system. You can get that info from the Annual Report they mail you or on their web site or by calling them. Don't use a test result of your water or your neighborhood's etc. hardness figure. Use the max in the system.

Then go to the link in my signature and come up with your K of capacity for the volume of resin you have (in cuft) and the salt dose lbs that K of capacity requires for a regeneration on average every 8 days and program with those figures.

I you want to, email me and I'll email you a copy of the Clack Manual. qwasluss @ ptd.net

Thanks for getting him the correct manual. I only have the hard copy, not on my drive so that one is the best I could find. It's not the correct one but as you say, it will show him how to program the head. He will of course need to do a water test first but it's good to see that rebuilding the head solved that problem although with a Clack valve, it usually does.

Going back over the thread I don't see you trying to help troubleshoot his problem, just a bunch of deleted and other posts that go on about brine line connections (and me), so it's nice to see you finally helped the OP with the link to programming info. Thanks.

well I don't really recall much about the thread or deleting anything. I think I made a comment on the second page disputing your usual disdain for the plumbing community but by then most of you guys had already given the OP the options. I suppose I could have seconded the motions though. Occasionally I do have to actually do some work for a living and it's not always easy to keep up with every thread here and the other dozen or so forums I follow.

Yeah you were non helpful with off topic comments quit a bit but most were deleted.