what does setting the Grain per gallons acually do when changed to different setting

Users who are viewing this thread

SirLeaky

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering what moving the Grains per gallon dial on some water softeners actually does.
Does it some how tell the valve how much salt to regen with??
When it is switched to other settings how does it affect things?

Also I have a Nozzle 0.042 what is it purpose?? Is it to meter the brine??

Thanks Paul

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you change the GPG setting it will cause the unit to regen sooner or later. If you raise the setting, the system will regen sooner and if you lower it than later. I would advise you to find out what the hardness of the incoming water is and set the unit to about 2-3 grains above. The .042 is the rate of brine draw. It does not meter the brine flow.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The softener only knows what you tell it and what it measures as gallons of water consumed and then calculates based on that. It won't know if you are lying or truthful.

If you tell it the water is not as hard, it will regen later. If you tell it that it's harder than it is, it will regen sooner. If there is a long slow consuption, the meter might not measure it, skewing the results.

The nozzle size roughly controls rate of flow. It's not exact as it's subject to the pressure and other factors. It need not be exact so is not field adjustable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks