Need help with new bathtub handles!

Users who are viewing this thread

bloyd

Reaction score
I just changed the bathtub handles, stem or cartridge(the part that turns), and the plastic cap and spring. It doesnt leak anymore but now I have a problem with water flow

When I turn the new handle past halfway the water ALMOST turns back off.

so as I turn the handle to halfway its at its heaviest flow of water and if I keep turning the water slows down like im turning it off but to turn it off I have to turn it back to the left.

It does this on both sides. Off is completely off. All the way to the right is minimal water flow and half turn is heaviest flow.

I also dont think its pushing as much water out as it use too.

Im not sure why its doing so so anyone have ideas? is it the new cartridges? do they not let enough water through?

Could I put in the old ones back? im not sure if it was these that leaked or just the spring and plastic cap(stem?) that leaked.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picture and model of the valve you're talking about might help?!

bloyd

Reaction score
Delta tub handle replacement kit from lowes. The valve i assumse is delta too, house is old and it hasnt been changed in over 20 years

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Sounds like they sold you the wrong handle. Check the old handle to see that the stops are in the same place as the new one.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta handles should ONLY rotate either a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, depending on the handles. If they turn more than half way, they WILL begin to turn off again. You either have the wrong stems, or handles, or they are installed wrong.

bloyd

Reaction score
hmmm well the old handles were delta and i just bought a delta replacement kit.

could the cartridges be wrong? Im going to put the old ones back and and see if that fixes my problem but hopefully those wasnt was leaking in the first place.

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
delta handles have a small plastic insert that fits into the stem body that will modify the handle from a 1/2 turn to a 1/4 turn. its basically a little piece of plastic that stops the handle from turning all the way. sounds like you need those. picture a ciggarette filter smashed almost flat. thats about what it looks like.. A supply house would have them or be able to get them for you... lowes or home depot, probably not as no one there has a clue. YOU MAY have to buy different stems in order to make it work IF the stems you have wont allow for the plastic (flat ciggarette filter) rotational stop peice.

bloyd

Reaction score
I have an extender on my stem because the pipes are so far back in the wall. But i understand what your saying but i believe the water doesnt flow as much anymore too. maybe the cartridges dont allow as much water as the old ones?

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe you have the wrong stems? delta stems are pretty common and theres not THAT many different ones, but its totally possible that you have the wrong stems... Possibly lavatory stems installed in a tub valve? Im not sure if thats possible with your valve or not, but ive seen dumber things.
Ideally you should take your old stems to a real supply house and have them match them or order them for you. There are literally hundreds of different stems. Is it also possible that your handles are delta but your valve is delta copy cat?. Theres probably a half dozen manufacturers that make a delta copycat thats ever so slightly different from the actual delta. often times the parts will cross over, but other times they wont.

Here in Charlotte we have a supply house that specializes in stems and parts for valves. sometimes you have to go to them for what you need cause even the regular supply houses cant match it. Lowes carries maybe 50 stems? only if you have a very popular valve are they gonna have the exact right ones.

Last edited:

bloyd

Reaction score
thanks man, ill head back to lowes and see if not an actual supply house

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are only three Delta stems, those that have the recess to convert them to 1/4 turn and those that do not, and those which are made 1/4 turn at the factory. ALL of them are interchangeable the difference will be how far the handle rotates from off to full on. But NONE of them will rotate more than 180 degrees. IF yours do, since the "stops" are on the extensions, yours are probably broken. If so, call 1-800-345DELT for replacements.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks