Deadly Alcohol Needs Global Regulation, Health Expert Says

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, don't count on lawyers to take just any old case. Trust me on that one. Back in 98, I was diagnosed with HD. Then, after being on 4 drugs for 8 months a piece, two-times now mind you, a total of 16 months, I found out, I was misdiagnosed with HD, I had a different kind, and therefore, was one the wrong drugs. Which explains why they maybe, didn't work. The doctor was so very slick, he said, I was just not on the "choice" drugs. The lawyers response to all of this? He told me I had to show long-term effect, and when I asked, "how" he said, I would have to die. Yeah, don't count on wrongs being righted. That is only in a fantasy world that happens. You don't even get so much an apology. Nothing. Zilch. You get told what his dad was told, " we are human and mistakes happen." Somehow, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Totally.

I don't like Walmart, it isn't the people, the people are fine here at least, it seems, I honestly, do not much like the smell, and that isn't the people either, lol, it is the smell of the merchandise. That, and for some reason, I just don't like much of their stuff either, and never found their prices cheaper, and after reading about Walmart's practices doesn't entice me much to shop their either.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ballsvalve, you might enjoy this. This happened the other day. It was NOT funny that day, nor, the next, I was still bugged. But, today, is another day, and, I can laugh about it. You mentioned people, people with tails, etc, which made me laugh. Which made me think of the other day! Because I was looking at this doctor like he was from outer space, another planet. I had to go to an appointed doctor, ( not one of my choice) due to reasons beyond my control, lol., and, the doctor was Indian. I have nothing against anyone, anywhere, no how. But, I needed an interpreter for his version of English. The maddening part of this was because, I didn't, couldn't understand him. So, to set the scenario, there I am on the table with a papergown on, seriously, at his mercy. Which he had absolutely, none. First, I had still had on my socks. He was saying, something, God only knows what, lol, about my feet. It was about removing my socks. My socks? You want my socks off? and, then, when I took my socks off, he was saying something else. Over and over... it was... to put my socks in my coat pocket. MY COAT POCKET? WHAT? He was saying, that socks are dirty. I beg to differ on mine, plus, they were brand new! Never worn socks! But, hey, I obliged and then, he was saying to throw them on the floor. The floor? You want my socks on the floor? Why the floor? I got to know why... but, hey! I threw the socks on the floor, lol. I felt weird. Then, after the exam, thank God... he was asking me something else. There, I am still sitting there on the table in the papergown, with no socks on, lol, and, he was asking me something. Over and over... I said, once, " I am so sorry, but, I cannot understand you" and, he was getting louder and louder. Now, he finally said, and I could understand this, "Are you married?" I said, " I am widowed." I swear on anything holy he said, " I AM NOT ASKING YOU ABOUT YOUR HOUSE!" ... my what? my house?? I repeated myself, and he said, " no windows, no windows..." I started laughing. I said, " I AM WIDOWED." His face was mad looking and said, " are you MARRIED!"

I said, " my husband is deceased." He said, " I AM NOT ASKING ABOUT DISEASES!" I literally THREW my hand up, saying, " stop." And, he was now banging his pencil on the desk, and I am now, looking for my clothes.

I don't even care about my socks. He can keep them.

He got closer and took his hand and showed me his ring finger...saying, " married, married!"
NOW, I got MAD, and yelled, " FOR JESUS CHRIST MY HUSBAND IS DEAD! and with that, MADE A GESTURE OF SHOVELING DIRT... like charades!

Now, that, was crazy. And, Terry, NO embellishment for entertainment purposes, just the solid truth. I can laugh now, I think, I can still feel the hair raising on my back of my neck.

Cookie

Reaction score
And, he had me move those socks once thrown on the floor, to another spot. Before that I had to move my tennis shoes to another spot. I sat them near the scale, but, he didn't want them there, lol. I was just getthing ready to open a window and throw them out. :)

I could see if they were smelly or something, lol, but, they are not! They are nice little shoes. I even said, to him, " they are just my socks" and, he wanted them where he wanted them. It was so bizarre, I swear he had more than a tail.

Wierdo rama.

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Is he okay?

So far no issues from the medication but.....no he's not "ok". He has had some medical issues for the past couple years and he is the type that has always been strong and working on whatever he wanted to do. He is having a hard time accepting not being alble to do what he wants. He did not want to retire.But hey thats life,its not easy.

This was not a bigbox style Walmart..it was a neighborhood type smaller food/pharmacy walmart.

The store really doesn't matter the same guy could be filling at another pharmacy next week so we could change stores and end up with the same guy or one just like him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I hope your dad does better.

Thanks I appreciate that. We hope he does better too. Actually this last episode may have been enough for them to get an idea on whats going on with him. Somtimes the patient knows things are not right and not feeling well but the patient is not sick enough to show up on any tests or be diagnosed.

Hopefully now we have somthing to work with and this new medicine may make a difference. Now that we have what we were suppose to have and not another pill to lower blood pressure.

The Dr said that if he had taken one more pill he likely would have died before anyone could do anything about it. You see the Dr gave him this new medicine and was going to start the dose out with two pills...but decided to only do one pill for a week or so. If he had directed to take 2 pills my father would have been on 3 blood pressure pills and a blood thinner.

Cookie

Reaction score
At least he didn't tell you that you have Ed Zackary disease! Google it. never mind, I did it for you:p

http://www.health-forums.com/alt-support-stop-smoking/ot-joke-ed-zachary-disease-130756.html

That's pretty funny. :)

Once years ago, I went to the pharmacy in a supermarket here to pick up my meds, and I am allergic to penicillin, and, the pharmacist got my name confused with a first name similar, and the same exact last name. Hers was penicillin. I got out to the car with it, and was checking it out, and noticed it, taking it back inside right away. Paul, the pharmacist, was new, and he and I sat on the bench outside the pharmacy and he couldn't apologize enough, and was actually, crying. The mistake would had been huge for me. Well, he is now, and has been for years, now the manager of the pharmacy and even, when he had gotten married, I was invited to his wedding. We became very close friends. So, it can happen anywhere of course, people do make mistakes, people are human, but, Paul, didn't make excuses, he apologized and was so very genuinely sorry. That is what makes the difference. He held himself accountable. Instead of writing off his mistake, and writing off the possible damage he could had done to me. He made the difference in 2 words, " I'm sorry"... 3 if you don't use the contraction. :)

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I went to a dr I had never been to before last year for a minor issue and was asked to fill out the new patient form and list all of my known drug allergies. No problem. As a child I had a very severe reaction to sulfa antibiotics. I printed it out on the form I was allergic to it.
The nurse while taking my blood pressure,weight,temp etc asked me if I was allergic to any drugs. I said "sulfa drugs" and even tell her about how horrible the reaction was......I was covered from head to toe and even in my mouth with red welps.
They didn't burn,itch or anything....but I looked like a FREAK and it scared the crap out of me. I was like that for 2 weeks before it faded.

Ok so the Dr prescribes what turns out to be a sulfa drug. The place I had the script filled also had my file that stated I was allergic to it.

I get to the car and open the bag and pop the antibiotic and take a pain pill and drive home.....3 minute trip.

I go in and eat a snack,take a shower and start reading over the medicine slips they give you that tells you all about the medicine and stuff...you know. So I decide to google the antibiotic and sure enough its a sulfa drug. I freak out and start looking for the Dr's discharge sheet that would have their phone number on it.....thats when I looked at the name on the top of it.......and it wasn't my name.........then I looked at the bottom of it and see that I had signed it.

Those jackbutts gave me some 10 year old boys discharge sheet with the wrong after care instructions and gave me an antibiotic I was highly allergic to.

I went to another Dr. the next day because I had a egg sized patch of skin on my arm turn red like a sunburn. That Dr. told me to go home and drink plenty of water and if it starts to burn,itch another spot pops up.....immediately go to the hospital and notify him right away. He said once you have a bad reaction to medicine it may only take ONE more dose to throw you into stevens Johnsons syndrome.

Cookie

Reaction score
Amazing, isn't it? I know it was serious for you, but, the incredible mistakes, every time I hear something like that wows me to pieces. It really makes me wonder. You did everything right and then, some. You told the nurse, describing even the side effects, you filled out the paperwork, and they still, make a mistake that could be so huge. Amazing.

I know someone whose dad had stents put into his heart, and, back in the room from recovery, a nurse put a heart monitor on a table meant for holding the hospital food tray and it fell onto his chest. This is an elderly man. The bruising from this was horrendous, they had to do xrays and Ct's to make sure his pacemaker didn't get effected as well. It really makes you wonder doesn't it? On a hospital food tray? A big heavy heart monitor? Unbelievable, but true.

I never heard of Stevens Johnsons syndrome, can you tell me what that is please? and, by the way, that is the way it is with Penicillin, one reaction, you do not get a second chance, the next one, and usually, the reactions, from what I learned increases very badly.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
Certainly seems like a better idea to subsidize bud light for the Indians than to make them into criminal zombies by snorting powdered pain killers and airplane glue. When you are on the dole in a place with 3 hours of sunlight, and no need to hunt moose anymore, you get a bit bored.

But there is a need to hunt moose, as the same provide a much needed and cost-effective protein source. The problem is that the local deer carry a brainworm parasite which somehow does not effect the deer but does decimate the moose and caribou populations. Thankfully, the wolves are slowly killing off the deer. Now what is needed is two or three realy harsh winters with lots of snow and -50 degree temperatures to really knock down the deer population. http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3482293

I have more sympathy to the First Nations of Canada than I do, in general, for America's welfare dependant. A long series of broken treaties and abusive residential schools have done serious damage. And being in an isolated community with no opportunities but yet able to watch the outside world on the internet has to be discouraging.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
Certainly seems like a better idea to subsidize bud light for the Indians than to make them into criminal zombies by snorting powdered pain killers and airplane glue. When you are on the dole in a place with 3 hours of sunlight, and no need to hunt moose anymore, you get a bit bored.

It's hard to find a good Canadian moose hunting joke these days, but here goes:

Two hunters got a pilot to fly them into the Canadian wilderness where they managed to bag two big Bull Moose.

As they were loading the plane to return, the pilot said the plane could only take the hunters, their gear and one Moose.

The hunters strongly objected saying: "Last year we shot two and the pilot let us take them both...and he had the exact same airplane as yours!"

Reluctantly, the pilot, not wanting to be outdone by another bush pilot, gave in and everything was loaded.

However, even under full power, the little plane couldn't handle the load and went down, crashing in the wooded wilderness.

Somehow, surrounded by the moose, clothing and sleeping bags, Stosh and Stan survived the crash.

After climbing out of the wreckage, Stosh asked Stan: "Any idea where we are?"

Stan replied: "I think we're pretty close to where we crashed last year!"

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I paid my last visit to a India Indian doctress last week. Her office looks like a d- hotel lobby in Calcutta, same air for 10 years inside.

absolutely just an in and out burger sort of deal, no interest in finding a solution to my issue. Had my six year old kid along and we went back to her office a moment after leaving to ask a question and he went to sit down on a basic chair.... and she screamed at him not to sit as she had just "sterilized" it [he was sitting there before] maybe she thinks his butt is as dirty as hers.... The office should be burned, not sterilized.

She has a sofa in her waiting room that I would'nt put on a mobile home porch in Alabama. But she "sterilizes" her 8$ folding chair my kid sat on. She probably wanted to kill the crabs he picked up in the waiting room sofa.

The India call centers are spending big money to make them learn fake American accents. Just hang up.

Cookie

Reaction score
I have experience, too many doctors here in the US, that should not be practicing until, they learn to speak and understand our language. It is really sorrowful, when they can't understand us, and we can't understand them, things with the medical is very important to know what is being said. I would love to see some of there notes they write. It makes me wonder. My son, by the way, would had sat in that chair.

Sometimes, I think people are just born nasty. I was at work tonite, and this horrible, horrible woman was yelling at me, (this is my part time job) because the top was not on sale but in the clearance rack. It happens! I didn't put it there. So, she said, " i am getting your name before I leave and reporting you to the manager." Right then, and there, I got a paper and wrote it down, and handed her the managers business card, saying, " you do what you have to do."

This went on, all the while I rung up the top. She said, I was rude. She said, and I quote, and this is funny, when I got home, I was telling my son, and we were laughing, she said, " I have been a nurse for 26 years and I have dealt with cancer patients and not once was I ever rude!" I SAID, " I have BEEN a cancer PATIENT for 14 years, and I met A LOT OF RUDE NURSES, ALOT OF YOU SUCK!"

Her face turned purple, her mouth dropped, veins popped out and she took her top and, I said, " have a nice day!"

Then, I went to Kmart, somewhat better than Walmart, and bought my cat, dog food. By mistake. He sniffed it, the younger one Thomas, said, no way, he knew it was grind-up dead horse; and, Bob the other older one said, he would try it. Then, I walked into the livingroom and stepped in it. I went to clean up the mess that didn't agree with him, obviously, and found, I am out of paper towels. So, I tried to clean it with Scott's thin, very thin, TP. Not too well.

Then, son asked me to what I thought he said, was to type 14 pages of stuff for him for work. I obliged. All 14 pages. Only to find out, he already typed it, and asked me to print it out!

Then, realized... I forgot his birthday! I am a bad mom. I got him a card, but no cake, no presents nothing. That was my day. lol. How was yours? :)

I don't know if anyone knows this here, but, if you call certain companies, and get the outsourced business, usually, in India, you can ask for the USA, and get it, you might have to actually, wait a few minutes, but, a true English speaking person, located in the US, will come on. I do it because, sometimes, it is too difficult for me. I get very frustrated trying to figure out what is being said, and if it concerns something of importance I like to know, I hearing right.

Last edited:

Pipehacker

Reaction score
Latest on Canada's Oxycontin Problem

This article appears in today's Kenora Daily Miner and News. When I read it I came away with the impression that no one has a real clue regarding what to expect and how to handle the situation. can you imagine 70% of a community being addicted to the same drug?

Response to Oxycontin withdrawal will take entire community: Arthurs
By Jon Thompson

The opium-based painkiller and street drug Oxycontin ceased production a week ago and while First Nations leaders in particular have been calling for a strategy to address the widespread withdrawal Northern Ontario is expected to experience when underground supplies run out, no new plan has been deployed at any level.

On Wednesday, the top executive in the Northwestern Health Unit announced no one person can manage a response and called for the entire community to respond.

“My entire 52-year career doing this has been involving all the opioids in one way or another,†said Dr. Jim Arthurs, who took the helm as medical officer of health in 2008 after working as a pharmacist, a family physician and an emergency room doctor.

“I ask myself, what is the definition of a crisis? This started in written time 15 centuries ago and in verbal communication time, that some people remember and were able to pass down, it was centuries before that. This plant has been a problem in some parts and all over the world for 36 centuries and nothing anyone has done has been able to solve it yet.â€

It was in his teens as a pharmacy student in Ohio when Arthurs first experienced the “ravages†of opioid addiction. A double amputee casualty of either the Second World War or the Korean War that he had watched receive larger doses of painkiller drugs for years pulled a knife and robbed the pharmacy because his doctor wouldn’t prescribe the drug.

Arthurs became emotional as he recalled seeing the same patients coming in to the emergency rooms of the United States day in and day out his 25-year career. Ultimately, that helpless emotion led him to a career in public health.

“I moved here not knowing anyone in this town and now, I know almost everybody who comes in through the ER door? Something’s wrong with that. This was a city of 30,000 people.â€

Despite having attended university in the exploratory 1960s, Arthurs has never been a drug user and counts himself fortunate the allure of learning kept his attention through those years. As the media attention around discontinuing Oxycontin soared last week, he found himself awake at 2 a.m., writing some reflections in anticipation of having to answer the question as to why nothing has been planned to address the widespread narcotic withdrawal that could already be underway. His thoughts returned to his freshman year, when then recently elected president John F. Kennedy said, “Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.â€

Philosophically, he thought, that’s where a strategy could begin.

“The First Nations want us to help. That’s understandable. Other people might be asking me or the health unit or the hospital, ‘what are you going to do about this?’ I can’t do anything,†he said. “I’ll help collect information but I can’t do anything. I have open doors with the Ministry of Health so I’m a good funnel but I need this community and this entire area to come together and talk about this.â€

The Ministry of Health intends to assemble a group of experts to address the issue for the province but Arthurs’ vision is to develop grassroots conversations in Kenora and Northwestern Ontario to tackle the local nuances. He established an email address dedicated to incoming offers of support and ideas from health professionals and the community at large (talkpublichealth@nwhu.on.ca).

“What I will insist on is we’re not going to talk about blame,†he said. “There’s nobody in this room who hasn’t been there in terms of complaining about other people but it’s not going to help. What I’ll be searching for in comments is, what canyou do or what can I do? How can we expand on what works? How can we quit doing what doesn’t work?â€

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I don't have the answers to that at all, if I did I would surely, use it, that is a big quest, how do we quit doing what doesn't work? I question so much that I feel like the guy in the suit with the question marks all over him, lol, and to be honest, it isn't even really funny. Now, listen to this, tell me what you think, tell me if I did right, I don't care if you or anyone disagrees that is fine. I will set the scenario, ( i love to say that, lol.) I feel like a filmmaker. I was standing at the sink, doing dishes by hand. I have a dishwasher, but, ( this is truthful) I love doing dishes, it soothes my soul. I play the radio, maybe, talk on the phone with someone, ( speaker phone of course) and, look out the window. Now, I am watching the workmen, about 200 feet back on the edge of my property dumping buckets of white stuff over the fence, into my garden area. I see them, walking and laughing, and pointing to that spot... My neighbor who has this sprawling, Brady Bunch house, from that era, is having some flooring done it seems. I saw them taking out rug and vinyl. I thought the other day I saw them dumping something, and then, thought, nah, I am not seeing right through the trees, but, not so, I saw right. I headed outside in the rain, in socks, lol, and, stand on the deck looking at this stuff and missed the workmen they went inside. So, now, I am down in the yard, and calling over to my neighbor who owns that house, and owns a realty company, to come outside. No one did. Well, back up on the deck. Finally, the workmen comes out and I yelled over asking what that WHITE stuff is? He said, he didn't dump anything, and, I told him, I saw him, and being I got a huge history cancer, WANTED to know what that stuff was. You all know, what white stuff I thought this powder was.

He said, "dust." So, now, I asked him, why he was dumping it in MY garden area IF it was JUST dust! I had my phone, standing in socks in a downpour, calling the police. And, I told him, I was calling the police. He said, " go ahead." I did.

So, they came over, and walked the area and sure here comes the workmen with the buckets and told him, it was drywall dust. Funny, I don't mean to sound like Mrs. Cravass off of the old show Bewitched, but, I didn't see any drywall going in or out.

I called my neighbor whose garden area joins mine, and warned him of the potential he might have "hot" tomatoes this season.

These were Mexicans, and nothing against them, but, we don't dump in someone else's yard, and, he told the cops he was just emptying their shopvac. But, the cops said they seemed nice enough. Nice? Nice? they were dumping and laughing at dumping stuff in my garden area, anyone could clearly, see this was a garden area.

And, it wasn't a shopvac, either. It was buckets of white stuff, 5 gallon buckets. And, the police, never even took down their names or went over the hedges and fence. They were young.
All kinds, takes all kinds.

Would you put your garden there? I was going to get it rotor tilled, the dirt is great there, but, now, I am not real sure about this.

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Well, I don't have the answers to that at all, if I did I would surely, use it, that is a big quest, how do we quit doing what doesn't work? I question so much that I feel like the guy in the suit with the question marks all over him, lol, and to be honest, it isn't even really funny. Now, listen to this, tell me what you think, tell me if I did right, I don't care if you or anyone disagrees that is fine. I will set the scenario, ( i love to say that, lol.) I feel like a filmmaker. I was standing at the sink, doing dishes by hand. I have a dishwasher, but, ( this is truthful) I love doing dishes, it soothes my soul. I play the radio, maybe, talk on the phone with someone, ( speaker phone of course) and, look out the window. Now, I am watching the workmen, about 200 feet back on the edge of my property dumping buckets of white stuff over the fence, into my garden area. I see them, walking and laughing, and pointing to that spot... My neighbor who has this sprawling, Brady Bunch house, from that era, is having some flooring done it seems. I saw them taking out rug and vinyl. I thought the other day I saw them dumping something, and then, thought, nah, I am not seeing right through the trees, but, not so, I saw right. I headed outside in the rain, in socks, lol, and, stand on the deck looking at this stuff and missed the workmen they went inside. So, now, I am down in the yard, and calling over to my neighbor who owns that house, and owns a realty company, to come outside. No one did. Well, back up on the deck. Finally, the workmen comes out and I yelled over asking what that WHITE stuff is? He said, he didn't dump anything, and, I told him, I saw him, and being I got a huge history cancer, WANTED to know what that stuff was. You all know, what white stuff I thought this powder was.

He said, "dust." So, now, I asked him, why he was dumping it in MY garden area IF it was JUST dust! I had my phone, standing in socks in a downpour, calling the police. And, I told him, I was calling the police. He said, " go ahead." I did.

So, they came over, and walked the area and sure here comes the workmen with the buckets and told him, it was drywall dust. Funny, I don't mean to sound like Mrs. Cravass off of the old show Bewitched, but, I didn't see any drywall going in or out.

I called my neighbor whose garden area joins mine, and warned him of the potential he might have "hot" tomatoes this season.

These were Mexicans, and nothing against them, but, we don't dump in someone else's yard, and, he told the cops he was just emptying their shopvac. But, the cops said they seemed nice enough. Nice? Nice? they were dumping and laughing at dumping stuff in my garden area, anyone could clearly, see this was a garden area.

All kinds, takes all kinds.

I would have never dumped anything into a neighbors yard. I cant say online what I would have done but they probably would have been the ones calling the police when it was all said and done.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It was probably just asbestos. How old is your neighbors house?

I didn't know it was legal to dump building materials on the neighbors yard. Your neighbor should have kept it in his yard.

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, I was mad Hackey... And, I tried not to be anything but 'civil' but, sometimes, it gets tough to be when so much stupid injustices occur. I love it, when I am able to fix something, to make a wrong, right. My neighbor, whom, I love, Mike, just called, and he said, he will take a look tomorrow, he saw it from his deck and said, he was concerned a bit, too. By looking at it. He is going to take a better look when it is light out but, it is now really raining so hard. I think, I will just put my garden elsewhere, this spring. Mike, was so sad sounding, because he got his seeds from Italy years ago, and he loves his garden, he plants only tomatoes and beans. He sounded so bummed out. He doesn't want to ask for more problems either. It is sad that people won't do what is right, just do what is right, to pick just the right decision. Mike and I do our gardens together, and we have so much fun. He is an older man, and, one year I hit him right between the eyes with a squash, by throwing it over the fence. But, he kept saying, when I asked him if he wanted a squash, to throw it over the fence. Well, I threw it, lol. And, we never laughed so hard. It is sad to think, we won't do our garden together this year but, honestly, I can't take the chance. Neither can Mike really. Sad, just sad to do to someone. I feel bad for Mike. He has been like a dad to me for 18 years. The house in the back, is a Brady Bunch style house. To be honest, I really hate those. It is probably from the 60's and loaded with it. I don't know if the owner knows about this or not, this was done by the contractor.

This wouldn't be exactly, organic gardening.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
How many people would had done something about this? or ignored it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks