(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deadly Alcohol Needs Global Regulation, Health Expert Says

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    Certainly seems like a better idea to subsidize bud light for the Indians than to make them into criminal zombies by snorting powdered pain killers and airplane glue. When you are on the dole in a place with 3 hours of sunlight, and no need to hunt moose anymore, you get a bit bored.
    It's hard to find a good Canadian moose hunting joke these days, but here goes:

Two hunters got a pilot to fly them into the Canadian wilderness where they managed to bag two big Bull Moose.

As they were loading the plane to return, the pilot said the plane could only take the hunters, their gear and one Moose.

The hunters strongly objected saying: "Last year we shot two and the pilot let us take them both...and he had the exact same airplane as yours!"

Reluctantly, the pilot, not wanting to be outdone by another bush pilot, gave in and everything was loaded.

However, even under full power, the little plane couldn't handle the load and went down, crashing in the wooded wilderness.

Somehow, surrounded by the moose, clothing and sleeping bags, Stosh and Stan survived the crash.

After climbing out of the wreckage, Stosh asked Stan: "Any idea where we are?"

Stan replied: "I think we're pretty close to where we crashed last year!"

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

I paid my last visit to a India Indian doctress last week. Her office looks like a d- hotel lobby in Calcutta, same air for 10 years inside.

absolutely just an in and out burger sort of deal, no interest in finding a solution to my issue. Had my six year old kid along and we went back to her office a moment after leaving to ask a question and he went to sit down on a basic chair.... and she screamed at him not to sit as she had just "sterilized" it [he was sitting there before] maybe she thinks his butt is as dirty as hers.... The office should be burned, not sterilized.

She has a sofa in her waiting room that I would'nt put on a mobile home porch in Alabama. But she "sterilizes" her 8$ folding chair my kid sat on. She probably wanted to kill the crabs he picked up in the waiting room sofa.

The India call centers are spending big money to make them learn fake American accents. Just hang up.

I have experience, too many doctors here in the US, that should not be practicing until, they learn to speak and understand our language. It is really sorrowful, when they can't understand us, and we can't understand them, things with the medical is very important to know what is being said. I would love to see some of there notes they write. It makes me wonder. My son, by the way, would had sat in that chair.

Sometimes, I think people are just born nasty. I was at work tonite, and this horrible, horrible woman was yelling at me, (this is my part time job) because the top was not on sale but in the clearance rack. It happens! I didn't put it there. So, she said, " i am getting your name before I leave and reporting you to the manager." Right then, and there, I got a paper and wrote it down, and handed her the managers business card, saying, " you do what you have to do."

This went on, all the while I rung up the top. She said, I was rude. She said, and I quote, and this is funny, when I got home, I was telling my son, and we were laughing, she said, " I have been a nurse for 26 years and I have dealt with cancer patients and not once was I ever rude!" I SAID, " I have BEEN a cancer PATIENT for 14 years, and I met A LOT OF RUDE NURSES, ALOT OF YOU SUCK!"

Her face turned purple, her mouth dropped, veins popped out and she took her top and, I said, " have a nice day!"

Then, I went to Kmart, somewhat better than Walmart, and bought my cat, dog food. By mistake. He sniffed it, the younger one Thomas, said, no way, he knew it was grind-up dead horse; and, Bob the other older one said, he would try it. Then, I walked into the livingroom and stepped in it. I went to clean up the mess that didn't agree with him, obviously, and found, I am out of paper towels. So, I tried to clean it with Scott's thin, very thin, TP. Not too well.

Then, son asked me to what I thought he said, was to type 14 pages of stuff for him for work. I obliged. All 14 pages. Only to find out, he already typed it, and asked me to print it out!

Then, realized... I forgot his birthday! I am a bad mom. I got him a card, but no cake, no presents nothing. That was my day. lol. How was yours?

I don't know if anyone knows this here, but, if you call certain companies, and get the outsourced business, usually, in India, you can ask for the USA, and get it, you might have to actually, wait a few minutes, but, a true English speaking person, located in the US, will come on. I do it because, sometimes, it is too difficult for me. I get very frustrated trying to figure out what is being said, and if it concerns something of importance I like to know, I hearing right.
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-07-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Default Latest on Canada's Oxycontin Problem

This article appears in today's Kenora Daily Miner and News. When I read it I came away with the impression that no one has a real clue regarding what to expect and how to handle the situation. can you imagine 70% of a community being addicted to the same drug?

Response to Oxycontin withdrawal will take entire community: Arthurs
    By Jon Thompson

The opium-based painkiller and street drug Oxycontin ceased production a week ago and while First Nations leaders in particular have been calling for a strategy to address the widespread withdrawal Northern Ontario is expected to experience when underground supplies run out, no new plan has been deployed at any level.

On Wednesday, the top executive in the Northwestern Health Unit announced no one person can manage a response and called for the entire community to respond.

“My entire 52-year career doing this has been involving all the opioids in one way or another,” said Dr. Jim Arthurs, who took the helm as medical officer of health in 2008 after working as a pharmacist, a family physician and an emergency room doctor.

“I ask myself, what is the definition of a crisis? This started in written time 15 centuries ago and in verbal communication time, that some people remember and were able to pass down, it was centuries before that. This plant has been a problem in some parts and all over the world for 36 centuries and nothing anyone has done has been able to solve it yet.”

It was in his teens as a pharmacy student in Ohio when Arthurs first experienced the “ravages” of opioid addiction. A double amputee casualty of either the Second World War or the Korean War that he had watched receive larger doses of painkiller drugs for years pulled a knife and robbed the pharmacy because his doctor wouldn’t prescribe the drug.

Arthurs became emotional as he recalled seeing the same patients coming in to the emergency rooms of the United States day in and day out his 25-year career. Ultimately, that helpless emotion led him to a career in public health.

“I moved here not knowing anyone in this town and now, I know almost everybody who comes in through the ER door? Something’s wrong with that. This was a city of 30,000 people.”

Despite having attended university in the exploratory 1960s, Arthurs has never been a drug user and counts himself fortunate the allure of learning kept his attention through those years. As the media attention around discontinuing Oxycontin soared last week, he found himself awake at 2 a.m., writing some reflections in anticipation of having to answer the question as to why nothing has been planned to address the widespread narcotic withdrawal that could already be underway. His thoughts returned to his freshman year, when then recently elected president John F. Kennedy said, “Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”

Philosophically, he thought, that’s where a strategy could begin.

“The First Nations want us to help. That’s understandable. Other people might be asking me or the health unit or the hospital, ‘what are you going to do about this?’ I can’t do anything,” he said. “I’ll help collect information but I can’t do anything. I have open doors with the Ministry of Health so I’m a good funnel but I need this community and this entire area to come together and talk about this.”

The Ministry of Health intends to assemble a group of experts to address the issue for the province but Arthurs’ vision is to develop grassroots conversations in Kenora and Northwestern Ontario to tackle the local nuances. He established an email address dedicated to incoming offers of support and ideas from health professionals and the community at large (talkpublichealth@nwhu.on.ca).

“What I will insist on is we’re not going to talk about blame,” he said. “There’s nobody in this room who hasn’t been there in terms of complaining about other people but it’s not going to help. What I’ll be searching for in comments is, what can you do or what can I do? How can we expand on what works? How can we quit doing what doesn’t work?”

Well, I don't have the answers to that at all, if I did I would surely, use it, that is a big quest, how do we quit doing what doesn't work? I question so much that I feel like the guy in the suit with the question marks all over him, lol, and to be honest, it isn't even really funny. Now, listen to this, tell me what you think, tell me if I did right, I don't care if you or anyone disagrees that is fine. I will set the scenario, ( i love to say that, lol.) I feel like a filmmaker. I was standing at the sink, doing dishes by hand. I have a dishwasher, but, ( this is truthful) I love doing dishes, it soothes my soul. I play the radio, maybe, talk on the phone with someone, ( speaker phone of course) and, look out the window. Now, I am watching the workmen, about 200 feet back on the edge of my property dumping buckets of white stuff over the fence, into my garden area. I see them, walking and laughing, and pointing to that spot... My neighbor who has this sprawling, Brady Bunch house, from that era, is having some flooring done it seems. I saw them taking out rug and vinyl. I thought the other day I saw them dumping something, and then, thought, nah, I am not seeing right through the trees, but, not so, I saw right. I headed outside in the rain, in socks, lol, and, stand on the deck looking at this stuff and missed the workmen they went inside. So, now, I am down in the yard, and calling over to my neighbor who owns that house, and owns a realty company, to come outside. No one did. Well, back up on the deck. Finally, the workmen comes out and I yelled over asking what that WHITE stuff is? He said, he didn't dump anything, and, I told him, I saw him, and being I got a huge history cancer, WANTED to know what that stuff was. You all know, what white stuff I thought this powder was.

He said, "dust." So, now, I asked him, why he was dumping it in MY garden area IF it was JUST dust! I had my phone, standing in socks in a downpour, calling the police. And, I told him, I was calling the police. He said, " go ahead." I did.

So, they came over, and walked the area and sure here comes the workmen with the buckets and told him, it was drywall dust. Funny, I don't mean to sound like Mrs. Cravass off of the old show Bewitched, but, I didn't see any drywall going in or out.

I called my neighbor whose garden area joins mine, and warned him of the potential he might have "hot" tomatoes this season.

These were Mexicans, and nothing against them, but, we don't dump in someone else's yard, and, he told the cops he was just emptying their shopvac. But, the cops said they seemed nice enough. Nice? Nice? they were dumping and laughing at dumping stuff in my garden area, anyone could clearly, see this was a garden area.

And, it wasn't a shopvac, either. It was buckets of white stuff, 5 gallon buckets. And, the police, never even took down their names or went over the hedges and fence. They were young.
    All kinds, takes all kinds.

Would you put your garden there? I was going to get it rotor tilled, the dirt is great there, but, now, I am not real sure about this.
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-08-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Well, I don't have the answers to that at all, if I did I would surely, use it, that is a big quest, how do we quit doing what doesn't work? I question so much that I feel like the guy in the suit with the question marks all over him, lol, and to be honest, it isn't even really funny. Now, listen to this, tell me what you think, tell me if I did right, I don't care if you or anyone disagrees that is fine. I will set the scenario, ( i love to say that, lol.) I feel like a filmmaker. I was standing at the sink, doing dishes by hand. I have a dishwasher, but, ( this is truthful) I love doing dishes, it soothes my soul. I play the radio, maybe, talk on the phone with someone, ( speaker phone of course) and, look out the window. Now, I am watching the workmen, about 200 feet back on the edge of my property dumping buckets of white stuff over the fence, into my garden area. I see them, walking and laughing, and pointing to that spot... My neighbor who has this sprawling, Brady Bunch house, from that era, is having some flooring done it seems. I saw them taking out rug and vinyl. I thought the other day I saw them dumping something, and then, thought, nah, I am not seeing right through the trees, but, not so, I saw right. I headed outside in the rain, in socks, lol, and, stand on the deck looking at this stuff and missed the workmen they went inside. So, now, I am down in the yard, and calling over to my neighbor who owns that house, and owns a realty company, to come outside. No one did. Well, back up on the deck. Finally, the workmen comes out and I yelled over asking what that WHITE stuff is? He said, he didn't dump anything, and, I told him, I saw him, and being I got a huge history cancer, WANTED to know what that stuff was. You all know, what white stuff I thought this powder was.

He said, "dust." So, now, I asked him, why he was dumping it in MY garden area IF it was JUST dust! I had my phone, standing in socks in a downpour, calling the police. And, I told him, I was calling the police. He said, " go ahead." I did.

So, they came over, and walked the area and sure here comes the workmen with the buckets and told him, it was drywall dust. Funny, I don't mean to sound like Mrs. Cravass off of the old show Bewitched, but, I didn't see any drywall going in or out.

I called my neighbor whose garden area joins mine, and warned him of the potential he might have "hot" tomatoes this season.

These were Mexicans, and nothing against them, but, we don't dump in someone else's yard, and, he told the cops he was just emptying their shopvac. But, the cops said they seemed nice enough. Nice? Nice? they were dumping and laughing at dumping stuff in my garden area, anyone could clearly, see this was a garden area.

All kinds, takes all kinds.
    I would have never dumped anything into a neighbors yard. I cant say online what I would have done but they probably would have been the ones calling the police when it was all said and done.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was probably just asbestos. How old is your neighbors house?

I didn't know it was legal to dump building materials on the neighbors yard. Your neighbor should have kept it in his yard.

Oh, I was mad Hackey... And, I tried not to be anything but 'civil' but, sometimes, it gets tough to be when so much stupid injustices occur. I love it, when I am able to fix something, to make a wrong, right. My neighbor, whom, I love, Mike, just called, and he said, he will take a look tomorrow, he saw it from his deck and said, he was concerned a bit, too. By looking at it. He is going to take a better look when it is light out but, it is now really raining so hard. I think, I will just put my garden elsewhere, this spring. Mike, was so sad sounding, because he got his seeds from Italy years ago, and he loves his garden, he plants only tomatoes and beans. He sounded so bummed out. He doesn't want to ask for more problems either. It is sad that people won't do what is right, just do what is right, to pick just the right decision. Mike and I do our gardens together, and we have so much fun. He is an older man, and, one year I hit him right between the eyes with a squash, by throwing it over the fence. But, he kept saying, when I asked him if he wanted a squash, to throw it over the fence. Well, I threw it, lol. And, we never laughed so hard. It is sad to think, we won't do our garden together this year but, honestly, I can't take the chance. Neither can Mike really. Sad, just sad to do to someone. I feel bad for Mike. He has been like a dad to me for 18 years. The house in the back, is a Brady Bunch style house. To be honest, I really hate those. It is probably from the 60's and loaded with it. I don't know if the owner knows about this or not, this was done by the contractor.

This wouldn't be exactly, organic gardening.
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.

How many people would had done something about this? or ignored it?

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    How many people would had done something about this? or ignored it?
    I woulda went nuts. Especially if theres a fence up and they dumped it over the fence. I would have foamed at the mouth on that one.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Hackney! Reason being, I did. I stood there at the sink and was in disbelief as to what I was seeing! I was outside standing in my socks on the deck in the rain, with a phone seething...Yeah, they were laughing, and the fence is probably a 6 footer and, they reached over it and dumped it. Then, told me, that it "blew" in my direction. It was all dumped in our gardens. I called a friend, said, " do I call the cops?" he said, " I would." I did. Would you?

How many people would had called the cops? Did I do right? The contractors told the cops they won't do it anymore. They didn't even take their names.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would just take a shovel and throw it back over the fence and be laughing just as much as they were when they did it to me the first time. It goes back to where it came from. Are you living in Dogpatch? The guy in the red shirt kind looks like me
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 03-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.

You do look like that guy! that is funny. I wasn't sure, still not what he dumped over the fence. It was crazy. It is kind of like Dogpatch because they also, got 2 St. Benards and 1, Sausage dog, and they are lapsed in cleaning up. In the summer it stinks at times. I wish they would move.

I figure when, I see someone sitting in that pink chemo chair with me, sharing with me what I need, then, people can smoke around me, until, then, I will stuff the ciggie up their nose, and the next time, someone dumps anything even remotely, looking like the bad white stuff on my prop, I will do as Terry suggested, shovel it back over. Mike was funny on the phone, he said, " you are a scrapper." lol.
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-08-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Hackney, read this, if you didn't see it already, this is just messed up,
    http://gma.yahoo.com/video/health-26...-28504361.html