2510SXT vs. 7000SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

dmendiol

Reaction score
I was leaning towards the 7000 until the salesperson indicated that they have been having problems with that valve. The 2510 is $915 and the 7000 is about $750 with 2.5 cuft resin. Have you been having problems with the 7000? Is the 2510 a better valve?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll take the 7000 all day long. Virtually no problems with it whatsoever

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I work for an OEM builder and we go through mass quantities of the 7000SXT's, we have had no problems with them at all. I sell hundreds a month and I work Directly with Fleck on a regular basis. The 2510 and the 7000 are both awesome valves. The 7000SXT is definetly a better choice. Fleck has the best warranty in the business (real warranty, not fake "our warranty is longer"). I have never had Fleck deny a warranty issue. The 2510 valve was my favorite until the 7000 series came out. Many older dealers prefer the 2510 because the 7000 is a valve they are not familiar with. When they have a single problem, they go back to their comfort zone. The 2510 is almost identical to the design Fleck has been using since the beginning of their automated valves. It is easier only because of familiarity. Now that I am familiar with the 7000, I find it to be a much better design. It takes only 5 minutes to rebuild (only necessary every 5-15 years), and the drive train is bulletproof.

Either way, you will be very pleased with either choice, but considering the cost difference, the 7000SXT is a better option.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I was leaning towards the 7000 until the salesperson indicated that they have been having problems with that valve. The 2510 is $915 and the 7000 is about $750 with 2.5 cuft resin. Have you been having problems with the 7000? Is the 2510 a better valve?
If you haven't heard of anyone having problems with the 2510, but have with the 7000, and they both use the SXT timer, I think that tells you something.

If you are buying locally, check the prices for the 2510 with other dealers. If buying online, compare prices and I think you might find there is little difference in the two. Make sure all are including the same plastic bypass valve. And remember that the default 7000 uses the same size distributor tube as the 2510 (1,05") although some will hype the 7000 being an 1.25" valve as better and possibly charge more because of that but you get no benefit from the 1.25" part because all your water going out of the softener must go through the distributor tube.

Personally I say the 1.25" valve is overkill for most residential softeners unless you require a softener larger (for a higher SFR or capacity) than the 2510 can be used on. IIRC that is a 16" tank which is like a 4.0 cuft softener. And then you'd use a 1.25" distributor tube and at least 1" plumbing.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The default size of the 7000SXT is a 32MM manifold assy. The 1.05" which is the same size as 3/4" PVC is the standard for most other controllers. The 7000 can be ordered with the smaller 1.05" adapter installed, but this adds a non servicable o-ring on the adapter pt#61419, not a great idea, but we have never had a problem with this o-ring yet. Once this adapter is installed, it is not removable ( at least not unless you can use a small hacksaw blade and about 15-20 minutes of time) There is absolutely no disadvantage to the larger valve, manifold and screen assembly. Future valves from Fleck will likely start moving toward the 1" PVC pipe spec instead of the 3/4" pipe spec. I would not be surprised if the 7000 moves away from the 32MM spec and goes to the 1" PVD pipe spec, (a bummer since we own the tooling to 32MM pipe for the West Coast)

The 2510SXT is more expensive than the 7000SXT. Even the electromechanical 2510 is more expensive than the 7000SXT. The meter on the 2510 is also not as strong or durable as the 7000's. The meter replacement cost is far less expensive as well. The meter on the 2510 is an external sandwich style meter used on the 5600, 6700, Pro-Flo etc., the 7000 uses the same meter as the larger commercial valves like the 9500 and 2850s.
The 7000SXT has eliminated the need for several valves of the Fleck line, especially since it has higher flow specification, higher backwash rate capability, optical positioning (eliminates the need for micro-switches), NEMA 4 outdoor rating, and a lower price. I am a huge fan of the 2510, but our sales have dropped to almost nothing except for the AIO version of this valve. The 7000 is a better valve, lower cost, newer design.

Again, either valve will provide you with 10-20 years of trouble free life, you will be happy with either system. I just dont see a need for the 2510 anymore except for spec'd units in qualified applications where the requalification process can cost 10's of thousands of dollars. That is why we still use the 2750 in so many applications, it was qualified into the specifications for USP 27 , Dialysys, WFI, or other applications and the requalification process is too expensive and time consuming.

The 7000 also has a better collection of plumbing connectors available. 3/4" - 1-1/2" MNPT fittings, 3/4" - 1-1/2" sweat are all available. The 2510 is limited to 3/4" - 1" MNPT, and 3/4"-1-1/4" sweat, but the 1-1/4" sweat connector looks like a pair of binoculars.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks