(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water consumption increase?

Hybrid View

Default Water consumption increase?

I increased my salt setting from 6 to 10 lbs. my water softener is undersized so it regens every 3-4 days. I think it was about once a week with the old setting.My water bill almost doubled! Yikes! How much water does a regen cycle consume? I checked for a leaky pipes and all looks ok. I think I am going to buy the new equip as suggested by some.

dunno, what valve do you have and how do you have all the settings set? but at any rate you almost doubled the salt setting so yes, expect higher water use
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We need more information. Even a picture of the system would help. Changing the salt setting requires considerable reprogramming of the valve. Changing the settings in the valve incorrectly can cause massive waste. If you are considering new equipment, please give us your pipe size, bathroom count, any excessive water users (super bath tubs, rainforest type shower), hardness, and people in the house. We can recommend a size for you. Be sure the softener feeds the house only and no irrigation.

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    We need more information. Even a picture of the system would help. Changing the salt setting requires considerable reprogramming of the valve. Changing the settings in the valve incorrectly can cause massive waste. If you are considering new equipment, please give us your pipe size, bathroom count, any excessive water users (super bath tubs, rainforest type shower), hardness, and people in the house. We can recommend a size for you. Be sure the softener feeds the house only and no irrigation.
    The system is a Fleck 5600 controller (metered) with a 10x44 tank, 48,000 grain. The manual specs reference 2.4, .45, 2.4 and .5 GPM for backwash, brine draw, rapid rinse and brine refill, respectively. The only thing I moved when I replaced the resin was what appeared to be the salt setting, a small white indicator with a screw on the back of the controller. It was at six and I moved it to 10. Is this even the salt setting? I also followed the instructions where it mentioned to set the hardness and the number of people. As for the size of softener, the consensus was 80000 grains/2.5 cuft of resin.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the information. That system should not be causing excessive water usage from what you did. It is an electromaechanical valve. The electronic controls are commonly "adjusted" in the programming which can cause all kinds of problems.

The 5600 Electromechanical (Econominder) is a bulletproof valve. Simple intermittent maintenance and it will last 20 years.

Now to get technical,

10x44 w/ 50% freeboard = 1 Cu. Ft. of resin assuming the lower dome has a gravel base. most companies overfill them with 1.25 Cu. Ft. This is not a problem, it is just technically incorrect. (50% freeboard means 50% of the media height, or 1/3 of the non domed portion of the tank)

For your capacity, assume 24,000 grains removal with 8# of salt per cu. ft for regeneration. How much resin did you put in the tank? The total capacity of that tank, without gravel, just stuffed with resin is only 1.75 Cu. Ft. so your calculations are incorrect somewhere. Do not fill the tank, it should have 1 Cu. Ft. possibly 1.25 Cu. Ft. maximum!

The proper amount should have been 10 pounds of gravel, and 1 cu ft of resin, though 1.25 Cu. ft. is ok.

1 Cu ft = 24,000 grains capacity @ 8 pounds of salt.
    1.25 Cu Ft = 30,000 capacity @ 10 pounds of salt.

Your Drain Line Flow Control DLFC should be 2.4 GPM
    Injector, white
    Brine line flow control will be indicated near the brine line on the valve, this should match the salt setting you were adjusting. Lets assume the BLFC is .5, it should have a black sticker near the brine line indicating this. Youer salt setting in the back of the valve should be from 6-36 lbs, newer valves go to 6-30 due to some minor recalculations that were done recently.

To set the meter correctly, we need to know the hardness and if any iron or manganese are in the water.
    Dont bother with the people dial/hardness... just let us know how hard the water is and how many people are in the house and we can help you set it fairly accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    Thanks for the information. That system should not be causing excessive water usage from what you did. It is an electromaechanical valve. The electronic controls are commonly "adjusted" in the programming which can cause all kinds of problems.

The 5600 Electromechanical (Econominder) is a bulletproof valve. Simple intermittent maintenance and it will last 20 years.

Now to get technical,

10x44 w/ 50% freeboard = 1 Cu. Ft. of resin assuming the lower dome has a gravel base. most companies overfill them with 1.25 Cu. Ft. This is not a problem, it is just technically incorrect. (50% freeboard means 50% of the media height, or 1/3 of the non domed portion of the tank)

For your capacity, assume 24,000 grains removal with 8# of salt per cu. ft for regeneration. How much resin did you put in the tank? The total capacity of that tank, without gravel, just stuffed with resin is only 1.75 Cu. Ft. so your calculations are incorrect somewhere. Do not fill the tank, it should have 1 Cu. Ft. possibly 1.25 Cu. Ft. maximum!

The proper amount should have been 10 pounds of gravel, and 1 cu ft of resin, though 1.25 Cu. ft. is ok.

1 Cu ft = 24,000 grains capacity @ 8 pounds of salt.
    1.25 Cu Ft = 30,000 capacity @ 10 pounds of salt.

Your Drain Line Flow Control DLFC should be 2.4 GPM
    Injector, white
    Brine line flow control will be indicated near the brine line on the valve, this should match the salt setting you were adjusting. Lets assume the BLFC is .5, it should have a black sticker near the brine line indicating this. Youer salt setting in the back of the valve should be from 6-36 lbs, newer valves go to 6-30 due to some minor recalculations that were done recently.

To set the meter correctly, we need to know the hardness and if any iron or manganese are in the water.
    Dont bother with the people dial/hardness... just let us know how hard the water is and how many people are in the house and we can help you set it fairly accurately.
    Sorry for the confusion. The 2.5 cu.ft is the number for the new softener I am considering.

I put in 1.25 cuft in the 10x44tank, so I am at capacity. The reading near the bloc is .5gpm and 1.5 lb salt/min. Hardness is 22 avg , no iron or manganese. 5 adults + 1 infant.

Quote Originally Posted by dmendiol View Post
    I increased my salt setting from 6 to 10 lbs. my water softener is undersized so it regens every 3-4 days. I think it was about once a week with the old setting.My water bill almost doubled! Yikes! How much water does a regen cycle consume? I checked for a leaky pipes and all looks ok. I think I am going to buy the new equip as suggested by some.
    To raise the salt lbs from 6 to 10 lbs is 4 more lbs of salt but 1.5 or less gallons of additional water (use) in the refill position to dissolve the additional 4 lbs. (3lbs of salt per gallon).

That is unless you changed (increased) other settings like the length of the backwash or final/rapid rinse, which you don't necessarily have to but....

You would have to increase your K of capacity setting or the number of gallons on a meter or the number of days on a day timer control valve. If you don't, you won't get any additional time (or gallons) between regenerations.

No softener should double the amount of water used before the softener was installed or put in service so, if yours has, there is something programmed wrong or a water leak. Check the drain line for water running out it when the control is not in a regeneration.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.