Please help me with bathroom shower plumbing/layout questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

CK

Reaction score
I recently tore out my bathroom down to the studs and redoing everything. I'm installing a walk-in shower and have somewhat of idea of how I want the layout of to be. I've had 3 plumbers come and take and look at my ideas, yet none seems to have an answer to if my layout will work. I am completely new to this whole plumbing thing so I apologive in advance for any confusion. I have attempted to include a diagram of what I'm wanting to do. Any and all information, suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated!!

I am wanting to have 3 shower heads. Two attached to opposite sides of the shower walls and the third a raincan dropping in from the ceiling.

The main handle is the Delta T17T238 double handle tempassure 17T shower trim with volume control. It will be attached to a Delta R10000-UNBX universal T/S valve body (#1 on the diagram). I have 3/4'' supply lines leading into this valve.

I will then have a Delta T11800 3 setting diverter. The 3 settings are 2 individual positions and 1 shared position. This will be attached the Delta R11000 3/6 rough-in diverter. This has 1/2'' inlet and outlet ports.

I'm hoping to have both wall shower heads running at the same time on one setting, the rain shower head by itself, or when turned to the 'shared' position, all three shower heads running at once.

All three shower heads are rated at 2.5 GPM.

I'm not sure if this information is useful, but my home's waterpressure is 70 psi static and 58 psi residual.

The questions that I have are as follows:
1. Will I be able to run the two wall shower heads off one 1/2" outlet?
2. If so, will I need a pressure balancing loop to have equal water pressure to both wall shower heads or will just a T joint work?
3. Will I be able to run all 3 showers heads at the same time without any noticable water pressure loss when in the 'shared' position?
4. Will this set-up even work, or should I just drop one wall shower head and be happy with two?

Again, I apologize in advance and any information shoved my way would be greatly appreciated.

CK

Attachments

• shower pic.jpg
    shower pic.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 16,916

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Your Questions

1. Will I be able to run the two wall shower heads off one 1/2" outlet?

One 1/2" copper line or one 3/4" pex line should work fine.

2. If so, will I need a pressure balancing loop to have equal water pressure to both wall shower heads or will just a T joint work?

So worth the extra piping but some of the plumbers here might not think it's worth the extra work. I would have it piped this way to be safe.

3. Will I be able to run all 3 showers heads at the same time without any noticable water pressure loss when in the 'shared' position?

If your restrictors are not removed you should not notice a drop in pressure.

4. Will this set-up even work, or should I just drop one wall shower head and be happy with two?

Best way is to try it first. Build the shower exactly like you want. Waterproof the floor and walls and then test the shower before tiling. If your home does not have enough water pressure or the effect is not what you want you can re-set and try another approach. I think you will be fine - if you leave those restrictors in place.

Once out the flow rates will change and your three fixtures might be demanding too much water.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only way to install a "pressure balancing loop" would be to go around the walls or overhead, and in that case I would install that and eliminate the underfloor section completely.

CK

Reaction score
Thank you JW and HJ for your replies. Both are very helpful.

HJ,
You write "a pressure balancing loop would be the to go around the walls or overhead, and in that case I would install that and eliminate the underfloor section completely". I understand what your saying. But I just can't invision it in my head. Can you provide me with a link, diagram or drawing of what this would look like?

Thank you for your time,
CK

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks