How to wire my gang box

Users who are viewing this thread

woody9663

Reaction score
Hi I am new here.I have a gang box which i changed from shallow to deep.I andded another wire for a light.A friend did a drawing for me but it did not work.Can someone help me the wireing??

Attachments

• electrical 001.jpg
    electrical 001.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 454

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
So are there three switches or just two?
And if two what do you want switched together? There are three items switched.

woody9663

Reaction score
So are there three switches or just two?
And if two what do you want switched together? There are three items switched.

Thanks 4 replying -There r 2 switches..left side laundry room light..right side mud room light that also switches on the btm of the plugs in that room..smoke alarm on at all times.. i hope that helps if not ask me more please cause i do need help

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
All the white wires will go under a wire nut.

The black from the supplying circuit, the black from the smoke alarm and two pig tails that will land on each switch under a wire nut.

The black wire from the mud room light and the black from the receptacle will go under a wire nut with a pig tail that will hit the other screw on one of the switches.

The remaining black wire on the last switch.

Not sure how the top half of the receptacle is being supplied as you don’t show that conductor if it is in the same cable as the switch leg going to the receptacle it will go under the same wire nut with the supply

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that is his drawing, it is completely useless, but the actual wiring is so rudimentary, that if you cannot figure it out, maybe you should not be doing the job.

Reaction score
If that is his drawing, it is completely useless, but the actual wiring is so rudimentary, that if you cannot figure it out, maybe you should not be doing the job.

Or at least go buy a book at the home center describing home electrical.

And turn the dratted circuit off before doing any work!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A sketch of what you are trying to accomplish may make this easier to understand.

To be protected and have a GFCI work, if you plan to use the 'Load' leads (i.e., feed anything else from that GFCI receptacle), the neutral for the load side can ONLY be connected to the items fed by the hot from the GFCI load side, and not to any other neutrals from any other circuit.

A GFCI works by comparing the current between the load hot and neutral. Any current flowing from another circuit will unbalance that, and cause it to trip.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The above poster claiming to be from "Belgium" is a spammer that posts things in forums only so that it can add a link to a a website in the post.

The actual text in the post comes from other websites on the internet. It is part of an automated spamming operation.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The above poster claiming to be from "Belgium" is a spammer that posts things in forums only so that it can add a link to a a website in the post.

The actual text in the post comes from other websites on the internet. It is part of an automated spamming operation.
This guy is ALL over.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

Nice Catch...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks