Flushing sediment from well after deepening

Users who are viewing this thread

biel

Reaction score
We have recently had our well deepened and are now dealing with sediment that I can't seem to flush out.

Here is some more details. The well is about 30 years old, originally it was 300'. When we moved in about a year and a half ago, the well had a low yield, about 1 gpm. The water was of good quality, clear, never had any issues with quality other than radon for which we have an system installed. 2 weeks ago, we hired a local driller to deepen the well. We deepened the well to 560' and got a yield of 7gpm, which is great. Once the driller left, we were instructed to flush it since they chlorinated it. They said the water would be cloudy for a few days but just to keep on flushing it by running a hose outside.
I have been running the hose for 2 weeks now and really see no difference in the quality of water. The water is still cloudy and gray in color. We have an inline filter and put in a 5 micron filter in but that does not seem to make much of a difference, plus it fills up within a couple hours. Once removed, the filter is covered in very fine, gray muddy substance.
So, I have been running the hose every day for 2 weeks straight. First I ran it for about an hour at a time, then I increased the time to 2 hours, and most recently to 3 hours at a time. I still see no difference in the quality of water. I called the driller this morning and he told me to run two hoses, one into the woods and one back into the well. I started doing that this morning. So far, I see no difference. I have been flushing it for 3 hours already.
Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of this sediment? By the way, we installed a new 1hp pump which is set at 500', so 60' off the bottom.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer! I just want my clean water back!!!

TJanak

Reaction score
What do you mean by 3 hours at at time? If it's 3 hours per day I don't think that would be enough and I would run it non-stop for 3 days.

biel

Reaction score
The driller said to pump for 3 hours then let it recover for an hour and pump again.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
The driller advised you right! It should clear up eventually. Sorry about the cloudyness and silt but many times that happens when drilling or deepening a well. You should see an improvement soon, if not call the driller back and stay in touch with him as to the improvement or non-improvement.

biel

Reaction score
Thanks Porky. Do you know how long this process can take?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The less water a well produces, the longer it takes to pump it clean. I have a 1 GPM well that took about two months to clean up. Then I shocked it and it took another two weeks just to get the chlorine smell out. Run two hoses, keeping the pressure low, and just keep pumping. If it doesn’t clean up in a month, call the driller back.

biel

Reaction score
We flushed the chlorine out in about a day, so it didn't take too long. This is day two of running two hoses, one into the woods and one back into the well. I am hoping a few days of this will do the trick.
Would you recommend running the hoses all day or continue to do it in 3-hour increments?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks