Rough-in for bathroom fan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Seattle_Steve

Reaction score
I'm wiring an addition and I think I understand what the inspector will want to see as far as outlets, switches and regular light receptacles. But, how do I rough in the wiring for a bathroom fan? Now that I think about it, I guess the same question applies to recessed lighting. Do I install the fan (or recessed can) now and wire it up for the inspection? Or, do I just run the wire to the location where the fan/can will be? Or, do I put a temporary j-box there? Something else?

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Typically you would have the can installed and the cable properly run to it. Just a bare cable hanging in the ceiling leaves too many questions.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Install the recessed lights and fan (including wiring). They won't have any power at this point becuase the switch/outlets won't be connected yet. In addition, the bathroom fan should fall under the "mechanical rough-in" (ductwork, etc.), so the inspector will be able to sign-off on the rough electrical and mechanical at that time.

The connections to recessed light and bathroom fans are really j-boxes. If you didn't install the lights/fan at this point, the inspector wouldn't know that they were being placed in a j-box (fixture) and it would look like you were going to leave live wiring hanging in the ceiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks