(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Rough-in for bathroom fan?

DIY Junior Member seattle_steve's Avatar

Default Rough-in for bathroom fan?

I'm wiring an addition and I think I understand what the inspector will want to see as far as outlets, switches and regular light receptacles. But, how do I rough in the wiring for a bathroom fan? Now that I think about it, I guess the same question applies to recessed lighting. Do I install the fan (or recessed can) now and wire it up for the inspection? Or, do I just run the wire to the location where the fan/can will be? Or, do I put a temporary j-box there? Something else?

Thanks

Steve
    Last edited by seattle_steve; 02-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Typically you would have the can installed and the cable properly run to it. Just a bare cable hanging in the ceiling leaves too many questions.

Install the recessed lights and fan (including wiring). They won't have any power at this point becuase the switch/outlets won't be connected yet. In addition, the bathroom fan should fall under the "mechanical rough-in" (ductwork, etc.), so the inspector will be able to sign-off on the rough electrical and mechanical at that time.

The connections to recessed light and bathroom fans are really j-boxes. If you didn't install the lights/fan at this point, the inspector wouldn't know that they were being placed in a j-box (fixture) and it would look like you were going to leave live wiring hanging in the ceiling.

DIY Junior Member seattle_steve's Avatar

Make sense. Thanks, guys.