New Toto tank level drops but no leakage into bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

wwleong

Reaction score
Just installed two Toto Ultimates. One is working great. On the second, the water level in the tank drops, but no water leaks into the bowl. Nor can I hear any sound of water leaking. When the water in the tank reaches the low point, rather than refilling the tank, the fill mechanism just allows water to trickle out slowly. I've adjusted the flapper valve but it doesn't help the water level dropping. I hope I haven't bought the first Toto lemon. Thanks for any insight.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The water is either going through the bowl or leaking onto the floor. Let the toilet fill completely and stop filling,then squirt some food coloring into the tank. Do not let the food coloring enter the overflow pipe in the tank. Do not flush the toilet.

Ok now wait and watch the water in the bowl for a while. See if the color shows up in the bowl.

Report back!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That sounds a little confusing.

the water level in the tank drops, but no water leaks into the bowl. Nor can I hear any sound of water leaking. When the water in the tank reaches the low point, rather than refilling the tank, the fill mechanism just allows water to trickle out slowly.

What type of supply tube are you using?
The Watts Floodsafe will prevent a tank from filling like that.

watts_floodsafe.jpg

If you have a Watts Floodsafe, remove it.

If the water is shut off to the tank, and the tank empties, then it would be a flapper or flush valve seal issue.

That would be resolved with either the flapper or making sure the seal under the flush valve is making full contact with the inside of the tank.
The flush valve removes with two screws. You can check the smoothness of the porcelain with a little sand paper, and then reassemble.

toto_854_flush_valve.jpg

wwleong

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the advice. Did the food coloring trick and discovered a slow leak at the forward end of the bowl. Was focusing too much on the aft end where previous bowls leaked. Fiddled around with the flapper and that seems to have at least slowed the leak significantly. Will keep an eye out. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks