Archer tub by Kohler

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo422

Reaction score
Thanks to all the people who took time to answer . The older people I been around used roofing felt paper to put under
The cement board now i realize they used it for vapor barrier
. Is that still done today ?15 or 30 lb roofing paper behind cement board should
be 0 water vapor getting past it. George

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plastic or roofing felt on the walls behind cbu in a tub or shower will work fine.

Geo422

Reaction score
From all the information you web site gave me I knew the questions to ask the tile guy . And the answers were right on with this site.thanks geo

Geo422

Reaction score
Cbu is up some type of water proof was rolled on to the cbu
The moen rough in value or where handle goes is out pass the cbu 1 1/2 inches
is this too much ? I realize that thin set and tile will take up some more space tile is 3/8 . Thanks George

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless they removed it, there should be a 'plaster guard' on the valve that has some min/max lines on it. IF the finished wall will be between those two lines, the trim will fit. Many people don't like it coming out to the max, as you can see more of the shaft of the handle, but the manufacturer says it is okay because it will fit. Without seeing it, from your description, I think it's out too far. the way to tell is to temporarily attach the finished trim with a tile stuck up there and see if the trim can be tightened down properly, and how far it sticks out. There are extensions if it sits too far back, but the only way to fix it if it is too far out is to tear things up and move the valve back...not something you want to do after the tile is up!

Geo422

Reaction score
Tile is up I will have less then 1/4 inch from the handle to the wall trim . since this is the hall bath I am going replace the vent fan one we now have sounds like a jet taking off and not much air movement thinking of the panasonic ceiling 110 cfm .. Thanks george

Geo422

Reaction score
I have got the bathroom done with the archer tub toto toilet and now I have a question . I have got a panasonic vent fan model FV-11VQ5 110 CFM my question what is the best way to put this in? I am replacing a small vent fan. Got the hole cut in the ceiling to the size panasonic said it takes. If I go to the attic does the fan set on the wallboard ? Or on the finished ceiling (painted )Thanks george

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The answer will depend partially on the joist spacing and direction. The fan should come with a couple of different support braces. The instructions that come with the fan detail various mounting options.

The housing should be flush with the bottom of the joists. It is sometimes helpful to add additional lumber blocking to support and mount the fan unit. The unit is always mounted as if the ceiling has not yet been installed.

Geo422

Reaction score
So the 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 hole they tell u to cut in the ceiling iss not big enough to get the body through with the vent outlet and wiring box attached. I took the vent part off got the fan body through the hole . But in the attic I couldn't get the vent attached back to the body . So actually the hole needs to be bigger or am I missing something ? The joist , duct work all runs the correct way electric everthing. My problem is getting that vent body through that square hole . Like my brain froze up .George

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Panasonic is an easy installation.
The bracket with the wire connection goes in first, and it easily fits into the hole. At the last, you install the fan up into the hole and screw it to the awaiting bracket.
The flange of the fan box can be below the ceiling.

http://shop.panasonic.com/resources/consumer_electronics/ventilation_central/pdfs/05_08_11VF2.pdf

If I go to the attic does the fan set on the wallboard ? Or on the finished ceiling (painted )Thanks george

When I install for an attic, I push the fan up from below, and the flange is below the drywall.

Last edited:

Geo422

Reaction score
Terry I believe you , I connected the electric wire put that end into the hole and over half of the unit went in but would not rotate so the rest would go up so flange would rest on the ceiling.but I am trying to put the vent in as it came from the factor I assume it dosent come apart to install . Thanks George

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The 10.5x10.5 is the finished hole size, which would not allow you to get the flange up flush with the joists.

If you put the flange on the outside (below) the drywall, the thickness of the ceiling may prevent you from getting the vent back on in the attic. The hole only needs to be over-sized a bit to get the flange up there.

Geo422

Reaction score
Cacher that was the trick I needed. I cut the hole a bit bigger and the vent slip right in. Went up in attic hook up the duct and was done. Thanks to everone George

Geo422

Reaction score
Since the last post the drake II was put in the bath and I put the Archer toilet in the master bath both of them are very well made . The Archer perform great better then I expected. Is there such a thing as a vent fan for a bath that don't have vent pipes running to it? Thanks George

Geo422

Reaction score
Hi ,MY master bathroom room has a water closet with a power vent /light in it.The rest of the master bath has a shower ,big tub and 2 sinks so it about 20x18 area ,this area has no vent at all .I was going put one in it because my reason is the moisture from the shower and tub has no where to go .My wife says that this area does not need a power vent .So I am coming to the experts to ask .I feel that the power vent over the toliet does no good since it is in a seperate room and the switch for it is also in the water closet..
What do you guys suggested?
Thank you George

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
wood_609.jpg

This Archer tub fit in perfectly without shims or mortar. It's not often I get a perfect fit between tub and floor.

wood_4608.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks