(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: disaster averted !

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    He also said he forgot to throw a blanket over the well head.

In FL etc. the pressure tank and pressure switch is usually out in the yard at the well, where the switch nipple can freeze and usually will before other parts because it is a 1/4" nipple and doesn't take much time to freeze it compared to 3/4" or 1" water line. And the warmer water from the well can melt the ice in the lower end of the nipple as it flows past but that means the switch saw the pressure change and came on or he wouldn't have had water for his 10 minute shower.

So I say ice blocked the nipple after the pump came on and the switch couldn't see the increased pressure to shut the pump off, which he did by flipping the breakers. Then the ice thawed as if it never happened.

Or, ice in the water line going by the switch nipple blocks the end of the nipple and the switch doesn't see the pressure change to shut the pump off.

Vacuum doesn't bulge a tank, it sucks the sides in, pressure bulges a tank.
    There is a 50/50 chance the pressure tank is in the garage. I understand the buldge would be from pressure, but what I'm thinking is the booster caused a vaccum which collasped the tank breaking the fibers and when the water came back on the tank "buldged". My question is, "Could the booster pump cause the vaccum"?

OK, lets see....If the switch is in the garage and assuming it can't freeze, it is before the equipment, or should be.

If the pressure tank and then the well pump and the booster pump were delivering water what was the cause of the booster pump causing this vacuum? Or, what shut off the water flow from the well to cause the booster to cause the vacuum?

What made the well pump come on again after the booster pump created the vacuum?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    OK, lets see....If the switch is in the garage and assuming it can't freeze, it is before the equipment, or should be.

If the pressure tank and then the well pump and the booster pump were delivering water what was the cause of the booster pump causing this vacuum? Or, what shut off the water flow from the well to cause the booster to cause the vacuum?
    What made the well pump come on again after the booster pump created the vacuum?
    Good point. I believe the well line froze. With no water flow from the well, the pump caused a vaccum. I guess we will never know, but it is food for thought.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

You are violating plumbing code over 80 PSI. Install a low pressure cutout switch to prevent a vacuum situation. Good Catch.

A vacuum doesn't cause a resin/mineral tank to swell and burst as the OP stated he saw happening..
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.