(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bathroom Remodel: Tub Drain and Plumbing Problems

I finally got a hold of an air chisel and began the excavation of the concrete around the tub drain. I found the p-trap. One half of it goes directly towards the wall and the other half makes a right turn just under the wall and I assume it attaches to the drain pipe there. This has turned from digging a big hole in the concrete to boring a hole under my wall directly under what appears to be load carrying beams. I'll have to make a pretty big hole and leave almost no support for about a foot lengthwise underneath the sill.

Is this normal to have to excavate such a large portion under a wall? What is the best way to do this since I can't come in from the top? How am I going to clear the concrete on the far side of the drain tube since I can't get to it? Should I just make the drain work in the current location instead and cut it off a little lower and add two 45 degree fittings to make the overflow line up?

Thanks

(One portion of the p-trap is completely beneath the wall even though it doesn't look like it in the picture).
    Name:  DSCF2340.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  47.3 KB

Youre doing a fine job... cut out some of the 2x10 on the floor and take out all the concrete around the trap. All you need to do is chisel back far enough to cut the trap off and get a fitting on the pipe. That shouldnt be underneath that beam. Looks like your working in the footer or an overpour area for that beam... I thought I was the only one with luck like that...lol Keep going, success is within reach. Just like Hackney said, make a big hole, get some room to work!

I finally got around to renting a demolition hammer and getting some room to work. The 2" drain line was almost entirely underneath the wall which was fun. I added a 2" p-trap and then came up vertically into a 2x2x1.5 tee with the 1.5" going to the tub drain and the 2" to 1.5" reducer above the tee going to the tub overflow. Is there any issue with this? It seems reasonable to me but I couldn't find anyone specifically posting about this for a tub/overflow setup.

Also, when I back fill with cement, should I wrap the ABS with foam bubble wrap or just pour the cement directly over it.

Thanks for the guidance.

Name:  Drain.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  44.2 KB

You glued that all together already?

That is quite the change of direction, more concrete removal would make it a straight shot.

It's not glued yet.

In order to get the trap in the right position, I would have needed to go another 6 inches or so to the right under the wall. There's not a lot of room in the corner to angle the demo hammer in that direction and it would require significantly more cutting of the studs and risk me putting the chisel through the drain pipe (I had a couple close calls). This seemed like a reasonable compromise to make everything fit.

Is this your first time using a breaker?

I could chip away enough concrete without cutting the bottom plate there, you have LOTS of room.

If you decide to stick with this, lets just hope you NEVER have to snake that drain.