(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathroom Remodel: Tub Drain and Plumbing Problems

Hybrid View

Default Bathroom Remodel: Tub Drain and Plumbing Problems

After purchasing a house a few months ago, I decided today was the day to remove the 18 year old fiberglass all-in-one tub/surround and replace it with a standard tub and tiled surround. I've done two full bath remodels in a previous home that were fairly straightforward, but this one has a couple new issues right from the start. The image below shows what was behind the fiberglass enclosure.

Name:  Remodel 1.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  45.6 KB

The first thing I noticed was the drain and overflow are not in the proper position for any of the new tubs I'm considering. There's no room below the tee to cut and replace either. I guess my only option is to start chipping away at the concrete around the tee and see what is below. Hopefully I will be able to move the drain to the correct location.

The second issue is the 3/4" copper supply lines run in front of the studs in the corner of what will be the back wall of the tub. There isn't any room to reroute them in the corner. Should I build a triangular box around them, tile it, and use it as a built-out shelf? Do you see any other options?

Thanks,
    John
    Mesa, AZ

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

I've found that before on my remodels.....it makes me want to cry when I find them coming out of the slab because there is no way to correct it but to break the concrete out and move the pipes. Adds alot time to the job.

If you do not want to relocate the pipes which would involve a bit of copper pipe work,sure you could box around them.

If the drain needs to be relocated just break the concrete out and cut the trap off. Installa new trap in the proper location. Drains are usually a bit easier to move in this situation than the water pipes.

There is ALWAYS room to reroute them into the corner. You have to do quite a bit of repiping anyway since the water to the valve is outside the studs. As a last resort, if putting them into the corner taxes your abilities, drop them down below the rim of the tub and then extend them to the faucet by going around outside of the corner.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

A tile surround is now "standard"?

You've done 2 full bathroom remodels and haven't had to touch the plumbing whatsoever? Don't they call that decorating when you paint the walls and change out a countertop?

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Sometimes you have to stop looking at what is there.
    Envision what you want to be there and make it so.

Exactly.

I don't see any "problems", just a bit of work...

It makes me wonder sometimes, what people think will be behind walls and showers before they rip them out.