(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New softener help

No need for argument from me either because I'm going to keep on programming for 8lbs no mater what anybody tells me here. I am fully aware of the capabilities of the resin and the units and I can program the unit in my sleep which is what I like to do at night rather than worry about customers calling me because their softener ain't working right.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Wanted to jump back in and say thanks for everyone's help. Got everything (except main bath-remodel time) hooked up yesterday. Got softener set up at 6 lbs. I noticed it did regen last night, is this normal for a new hookup?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    No need for argument from me either because I'm going to keep on programming for 8lbs no mater what anybody tells me here. I am fully aware of the capabilities of the resin and the units and I can program the unit in my sleep which is what I like to do at night rather than worry about customers calling me because their softener ain't working right.
    Agreed, I rarely have time to do field work aymore, but I prefer the higher quality soft water that is attained by using slightly more salt. For areas where water reuse is a concern, we should minimize our salt usage.

8 pounds almost guarantees no calls for problems. Low salt usage should also be avoided when using a softener for small amounts of iron removal.

Remeber to follow your local rules for salt efficiencies. Many municipalities have implemented minimum efficiency rules.

I live in Maine and work in NH and Maine..........we don't need no stinkin rules...LOL
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    I live in Maine and work in NH and Maine..........we don't need no stinkin rules...LOL
    California is a little ridiculous with the rules sometimes but since a large portion of our water is recycled prior to ocean discharge, the rules are in place to allow that. They have been reasonable and the municipalities have made considerable infrastructure changes in some regions to allow for higher TDS water to be discharged to the drain. Some regions do not even consider history, facts, or the truth and simply make up rules to suit their political agenda, these are the people we actively spend money on to take to court and fight. Municipalities that work with us to find solutions to the regions water quality problems have quickly discovered that we are not the enemy. By using 8 pounds of salt or less per cu. ft, and not using softening for iron removal in concentrations that excced 1, maybe 2 max ppm, will allow our industry to show that we are doing what is right for the environment and will minimize a municipalities desire to start regulation in the first place.