Better alternatives to Moen posi temp

Users who are viewing this thread

jbrickm

Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing the Moen posi temp cartridge in the guest bathroom for the third time in 3 years. I understand that the posi temp by design gets stuck if not used regularly.

What alternatives are there for the posi temp that will keep working even if used infrequently? Thanks

P.S: I'm a noob and not a pro

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Use a Delta.But really you need to exercise the valve on a regular basis. The trap for the drain would go dry anyway if you didn't.

jbrickm

Reaction score
Thank you! To replace the Moen with a Delta tub and shower faucet kit, is it an advanced i.e. pros only job or is it do-able by a DIY guy? I'm pretty handy but the only plumbing "project" I've done is to replace a flush valve in a toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll likely need to cut pipe and solder things back together to install a new valve. If you can't open the wall behind the thing, then you'll have to do it from the front. From the front, the hole isn't big enough, so you have to make it bigger. They do make rennovation or remodel plates designed to cover that larger hole (only needed if you need to go from the tub/shower side). Or, if it is tiled, you may be able to rebuild it and put in new tile. So, depends. Certainly easier to remember say once a month to open the valve and let it run for 30-seconds or so...

Rob418

Reaction score
Jim,
Am I better off, in your opinion, to return my Moen and install a Delta?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks