(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drain plumbing for Steam Shower

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Try somthing like this. Your steam unit will need to be elevated. the p-trap for it would be above the floor. I'm not trying to say you should use every fitting that i have pictured here. This is just an example to show how everything is vented.

Attachment 15560

Last edited by Hackney plumbing; 02-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks for the visual, and all of the suggestions. I am still playing with a way to keep this all (or most) inside the joists because I dont have any room to spare in the closet to raise up the generator more than about 4 inches inside the closet. If I get anything that looks workable, I'll submit a new picture for further critique.

As for the Noble TS suggestion, the Kerdi cult got to me first, and I will probably stick with that system as I have already purchased all of the membrane and the drain kit.

-Leland

Okay, this seems better to me.

Name:  Plumbing V3.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  84.3 KB

My first concern with this is the distance that the vent line has to travel laterally before making the rise. It tavels 6'6" of horizontal distance, with enough space to rise vertically about 6" over that run. Is this enough of a slope for the vent? The vent I would use off to the right used to serve the old shower, and I had capped it off thinking I wouldn't need it. It is not tied to anything else, and goes straight up to the roof after that run of 6'6"

The other vent line in the wall on the left that will vent the steam gen drain line was previously used to vent the bathtub drain. The bath was ripped out and this is where the shower will be now. This vent line rises inside the wall to the left and about four feet up it joins the larger 2" vent pipe you can see at the very bottom of the picture.

As for the steam generator drain, I would like to extend it another foot to the left so the trap lies beneath the subfloor in the closet, and then have the riser come up through the floor where it will meet the drain line from the gen.

It might not be perfect, but will it be sufficient?

Notice how much less convoluted and how the 180* change of direction isn't so tight on Hackney's version?

Quote Originally Posted by dlarrivee View Post
    Notice how much less convoluted and how the 180* change of direction isn't so tight on Hackney's version?
    Ok. I have more room between the joists to work with, and can make that big turn more gradual with another trip to the store.
    Last edited by Smitny; 02-11-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

You can still pipe it basicaly like I have shown but to keep the trap below the floor just install another wye fitting rolled the other direction from the wye catching the shower. Then use 22.5's or 45's and swing the trap to your exact point you would like to go vertical with the riser.

I urge you to find a way to raise the steam unit drain and inlet to the standpipe above the flood rim of your shower. If you do not and the shower backs up it will overflow in your closet and whatevers below.. Thats not the best design.

My intent is to give you good advice. I'm not trying to force the issue.

I don't feel like you're trying to force the issue at all. Im very grateful for all of the advice.

So (referencing your picture) are you saying to install another wye along the horizontal section between the existing horizontal wye and where it makes the 90 to rise? If so, what goes where from there - - The in line extension of this new wye ties into my existing vent in the wall and the angled branch goes to the steam drain p-trap?

I will just have to figure out a way to make the top of the steam drain higher than the flood rim of the shower.

Just out of curiosity though, would my newest setup have worked, in your opinion? Would the 6'6" long vent run have created a problem with such a slight slope to it? I'm not trying to force my side of the issue either, just curious if my understandiing of plumbing principles is progressing in the right direction.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smitny View Post
    I don't feel like you're trying to force the issue at all. Im very grateful for all of the advice.

So (referencing your picture) are you saying to install another wye along the horizontal section between the existing horizontal wye and where it makes the 90 to rise? If so, what goes where from there - - The in line extension of this new wye ties into my existing vent in the wall and the angled branch goes to the steam drain p-trap?

I will just have to figure out a way to make the top of the steam drain higher than the flood rim of the shower.

Just out of curiosity though, would my newest setup have worked, in your opinion? Would the 6'6" long vent run have created a problem with such a slight slope to it? I'm not trying to force my side of the issue either, just curious if my understandiing of plumbing principles is progressing in the right direction.
    Yes,install another wye between the 90 turning up in the wall (the vent) and the wye for the shower. I relly like the way I did it in the 1st pic because that way the vent gets washed. The way we are talking about doing it now the vent is not washed. You need to install a cleanout in the vent line thats accessible just incase the vent needs cleaning. It is very important.

As always check with your local codes and inspection department before making anything permanent.

ADD> Yes and no on your last piping arangement. Your traps are protected and vented. Again the flat vent issue comes up without being washed. Its just not good plumbing and in most cases it will not pass inspection unless arangements are made like the cleanout I'm telling you to install. Some cases it still may not be acceptable but some inspectors make exceptions for existing construction/remodels. Inspectors vary and laws vary so much theres no cut and dry answer.

I do not like the cross fitting from horizontal to vertical. If I used a cross fitting like that I would want the top being used as a cleanout. Thats good plumbing.
    Last edited by Hackney plumbing; 02-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Okay, I put it together like your version 1. Here's three shots, let me know if I got it right.

Name:  Plumbing_V4-1.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  73.4 KB

Here is the shower drain, I made the turn as gradual as I could inside the space I have. Plenty of slope even though this picture, taken from above, might not show it.

Name:  Plumbing_V4-2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  60.7 KB

Here is a shot showing the riser, and the steam generator trap from behind, looking into the closet. The vent pipe coming out the top will take a 90 to the left, pass through the stud, and then 90 up to join the vent pipe you can see near the top of the picture. I just have to re-route the copper line to make it happen. That's next week.

Name:  Plumbing_V4-3.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  61.4 KB

Here is a shot from inside the closet, showing the p-trap, and the drain pan for the steam generator. This platform for the gen will be raised to provide slope into the drain pipe. I didn't know if you meant that I should install a cleanout only if I went with the 'extra wye' configuration we discussed, but I put one in anyway. I figured it couldn't hurt, right?

I had heard from someone else that there needs to be a certain distance (two pipe widths?) between a trap and a vent. If that's true, is my steam gen drain setup okay? Am I trying to cram too much in a tight space there in pic #3? Thanks

Hackney Plumbing, if you're still around, can you tell me if I got this right according to your example?

Anyone else, please feel free to weigh in as well, I'm getting anxious to get rid of the giant subfloor black hole.