Brass waste/overflow: Recommendations??

Users who are viewing this thread

JCH

Reaction score
I'm installing a Kohler Villager cast iron built-in bathtub.

I'm looking for recommendations on a Chrome waste/overflow assembly that won't pit and look lousy in 10 years.

My plumber thought a "Gerber" (?) would be a great choice but then noticed that the parts in the tub are not brass (although the behind-the-wall parts are), but instead is just chrome-plated pot metal. He says it'll pit and look lousy in 10 years...

Any recommendations for a chrome waste/overflow that will still look good in 20 years?? (Looking for something that works with a hair strainer, so no linkages if possible).

Thanks!

JCH

Reaction score
Did some research and found that Delta makes 2 models of *chrome* finish waste/overflows:
- RP293: 20 gauge brass construction (The 17 gauge brass model RP693 is not available in chrome from what I can tell)
- RP393: Polypropylene construction

The local plumbing houses don't stock either of these so they'd be a special order.

I was hoping that one of you has seen them in person...

Questions:
1) The RP293 spec sheet shows a vertical adjustment of 11" - 13-/12". My Kohler Villager tub has a vertical spacing of 10-1/2". Can the brass be cut down? Or is the brass slip-joint tubing only crimped enough to allow the 11" minimum vertical?? The RP393 spec's a vertical adjustment range of 10-1/2" - 13".

2) The drain hole in my Kohler Villager tub is 2-1/2" diameter. Both waste/overflows mentioned above are spec'd for a Minimum Drain Hole size of 1-5/8". Will the drain fit properly? (i.e. is 2-1/2" drain hole diameter unusually big and therefore require a non-standard drain?)

3) Which drain piping material would you recommend (20 Guage brass? or Polypropylene?). My piping is ABS and I'd like this installation to last 20+ years...

Thanks!

JCH

Reaction score
In the meantime, I've been poking around Contractor Talk, and I found a bunch of plumbers complaining about "Delta drains leak like a sieve"...

Can anybody here vouch for whether this is the case or not? Would hate to special order and install a part and find out down the road that it's a dud...

Thanks!

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The tub has a standard size drain. The 2 7/8" on the spec sheet is showing the distance from the bottom of the tub to the bottom of the kohler drain they try to sell for it. It must because they do not know what drain your going to use because drains do not come with the tub and different drains can have different dimensions.

I believe the delta overflow plates are chrome plated brass and have a lifetime finish warranty. Its up to you to clena it on the regular and with the proper cleaners.

The tub shoe strainer is plated brass and also has a lifetime warranty. You do not want a linkage system so you need to pick what style stopper you want for the tub. I'm not sure what Delta's offering now but I believe its a lift and turn and possibly push/pull and or tip toe style.

The piping can be cut or added to both on the tub shoe(horizontal portion) or the overflow(vertical portion.

I've never had one leak and I've installed hundreds. Never any issues unless sombody went wild with a brillo pad or decided to use draino.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks