(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Price for Black Iron Pipe?

  1. #1
    Retired tool & Die and Mechanic Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    N.W. Alabama--Florence--
    Posts
    110

    Default Price for Black Iron Pipe?

    I sent my wife to purchase one stick each of 1/2 and 3/8 Black Iron Pipe from a local retailer.
    These were 21 foot length of pipe.
    She was charged $27.77 for the 1/2" pipe and $121.13 for the 3/8" pipe.
    I called to see if a mistake was made and was told that the price for 3/8 pipe was higher because demand was less, and the 1/2" was bought in bulk!!
    Does this make sense

  2. #2
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Thus is the way of the world. Why does a 30 gallon water heater cost the same or more than a 40? Same reason.

  3. #3
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,638

    Default

    quote; Why does a 30 gallon water heater cost the same or more than a 40? Same reason.

    And a 6 gallon heater could cost more than either of them. NO ONE uses 3/8 pipe anymore, so if he had a stick of it, he probably has had it for years, paying "storage" and losing "interest" on the money he paid for it. But she paid 1992 prices for the 1/2" so you probably did not lose as much as you thought.
    Last edited by hj; 02-10-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  4. #4
    In the Trades Tom Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,940

    Default

    Ahh yes gentlemen but the real question here is; what in hell is he doing with 3/8" black iron? Last time I used any has to be twenty years or more ago when we were piping commercial gas control lines on process boilers.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

  5. #5
    In the Trades Gary Swart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Yakima WA
    Posts
    7,246

    Default

    Why 3/8" is a good question, but I would ask another. Are you attempting to DIY a gas line? If so, bad idea. Hire a pro for gas work.

  6. #6
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Sending the wife for supplies...???? Sending her for 20 footers...priceless!

  7. #7
    Homeowner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,174
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    I sent my wife to purchase one stick each of 1/2 and 3/8 Black Iron Pipe from a local retailer.
    These were 21 foot length of pipe.
    She was charged $27.77 for the 1/2" pipe and $121.13 for the 3/8" pipe.
    I called to see if a mistake was made and was told that the price for 3/8 pipe was higher because demand was less, and the 1/2" was bought in bulk!!
    Does this make sense
    You got ripped off. Simple as that.

  8. #8
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,638

    Default

    quote; You got ripped off. Simple as that.

    When you need something and there is only one guy who has it, he can charge whatever he wants for it, regardless of whether it is a length of 3/8" black pipe, or a carburetor for a 1933 Indian motor cycle.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  9. #9
    Homeowner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,174
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    quote; You got ripped off. Simple as that.

    When you need something and there is only one guy who has it, he can charge whatever he wants for it, regardless of whether it is a length of 3/8" black pipe, or a carburetor for a 1933 Indian motor cycle.
    Who said that guy was the only one who had it? You can charge what you want most of the time but when your prices are high,expect to get called a rip off.

  10. #10
    Retired tool & Die and Mechanic Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    N.W. Alabama--Florence--
    Posts
    110

    Default

    All the black iron pipe is to be used for special applacation of parts made with a Lathe and a wire welder. Most small lengths will be used as spacers. I have since returned the 3/8 and I purchased solid steel which is close to the same OD but will have to be drilled. The 1/2" can be used by cutting to proper length.

  11. #11
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,638

    Default

    quote; Who said that guy was the only one who had it?

    How much 3/8 black steel pipe have YOU seen anywhere, lately? That is why I said he is probably the only one who had it probably had a party when he sold it. He probably wished he had time to put an "under new ownership" sign in the window when he saw it coming back again. We once had a plumber who was cutting hanger rods to suspend a pipe. After a "long" time he asked where we got the hollow rod. He was cutting our 1/4" black steel control pipe instead of the solid rod.
    Last edited by hj; 02-11-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  12. #12
    DIY Junior Member DIYPlumber90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    quote; Why does a 30 gallon water heater cost the same or more than a 40? Same reason.

    And a 6 gallon heater could cost more than either of them. NO ONE uses 3/8 pipe anymore, so if he had a stick of it, he probably has had it for years, paying "storage" and losing "interest" on the money he paid for it. But she paid 1992 prices for the 1/2" so you probably did not lose as much as you thought.
    Yeah in reality there was a give and take in that.. But either way sorry for hearing such steep prices.. I really wish inflated prices were adjusted to our salaries!!

Similar Threads

  1. Cutting Black Iron Pipe
    By tonyn1 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-13-2011, 07:06 AM
  2. Life expectancy of copper and black iron pipe
    By luc in forum HVAC Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 10:50 AM
  3. Black Iron Pipe
    By Soto in forum Boiler Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 08:28 AM
  4. How hard to tighten Black Iron pipe?
    By msgale in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 07:30 PM
  5. Black iron pipe question
    By Smith333 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 05:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •