Booster Pump - Switch Chatter

Users who are viewing this thread

Dean Erger

Reaction score
I have a water well system with a water storage tank. Water from the storage tank goes through a booster pump for pressure, then to a pressure tank (on a “Tâ€) and on to my home. I’m planning to replace the booster pump with a Red Jacket 100SRJ shallow well jet pump.

The installation manual for the pump states: “The pump must be within 4' of the tank to prevent switch chatter. There should be no filters or valves, other than a wide open gate valve, between the pump and tank. … Do not place valves or filters between the pump and tank, other than a fully open gate valve or “full port†ball valve. The most common ball valves are not full port! Most valves and filters will create excessive friction loss and cause “switch chatter.†http://completewatersystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SRJ_DRJIOM.pdf

The manual isn’t clear. Are they talking about a pressure tank or a storage tank?

My storage tank is very large (about 8 ft high by 6 ft dia), about 75 ft from the booster pump, and has a 2†ball valve at the bottom outlet of the tank. I’m not sure if the ball valve is full port, but I doubt it is. The Red Jacket pump suction is 1 ¼â€.

Will the Red Jacket pump work okay with my water storage tank 75 ft from the pump? If so, since the ball valve is 2†and the booster pump suction is only 1 ¼â€, would I need to replace the 2†ball valve at the bottom of the water storage tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks