bronze fittings and copper fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
when will you use bronze fittings, such as cast bronze tee, when will you use copper tees in a copper pipe hot water heating system?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
[h=2]By the magic of cut an paste, here is jerrymacs dissertation!
For DIYfun, you may be confusing wrot copper or cast copper fittings, with brass , or bronze. No problem using ANY of those. Brass is more expensive, bronze fittings are not readily sold in this market and would be VERY expensive.

icon1.png
Re: bronze fittings and copper fittings[/h]
you have your terms mixed up, plumbers do not use bronze pipe fittings they use " brass " fittings
if i am running a copper water system then i use all copper fittings
but if you are talking about a hydronic heating system then i might use brass fittings
the main difference between the two is cost as the brass cost more
on the other hand if i was trying to finish a solder job and all i had was brass fittings then i would use them rather then taking time to go get copper fittings

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you JIMBO
for the assit should of thought of that myself

Last edited by a moderator:

lmei007

Reaction score
you have your terms mixed up, plumbers do not use bronze pipe fittings they use " brass " fittings
if i am running a copper water system then i use all copper fittings
but if you are talking about a hydronic heating system then i might use brass fittings
the main difference between the two is cost as the brass cost more
on the other hand if i was trying to finish a solder job and all i had was brass fittings then i would use them rather then taking time to go get copper fittings

The cast bronze is the label I copied from Lowes.

I found all the tees in my existing hot water heating system are "cast bronze". I noticed those "cast bronze" tees are more expensive. The copper tees are easier to solder and cheapier. So I was thinking there must be a reason for a plumber to use hard to handle and more expensive fittings.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; So I was thinking there must be a reason for a plumber to use hard to handle and more expensive fittings.

Not really. He may just have them handy, and some specific hydronic fittings only come in cast brass/bronze. Just because Lowes CALLS them cast bronze, does not necessarily mean that is what they are.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks