replace or keep old shower pan ?

Users who are viewing this thread

dotkayk

Reaction score
so, the 1987 shower walls were tile over drywall.. mildew, mould, and other fun.

I have the walls down to the studs and starting to rebuild. The old shower pan looks to the naked eye to be fine, no cracks or significant wear. Should I replace this as long as I'm in there ? or would it be safe to leave the old one ?
I'm nervous about my ability to install a new pan without getting creaking or cracking down the road somewhere..
tia, Doug

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it looks good, no cracks, crazing, or discoloration, and cleans up nice, keep it. Otherwise, trash it. Nearly 25-years old, it doesn't owe you anything. The key to creating a solid shower pan/receptor is to put stuff underneath it like deckmud, or something similar so that it is 100%, or close, supported underneath. Or, build a tileable pan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks