well trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

dan909

Reaction score
Hey everybody I am new to this forum. I was impressed at the time I came to the forum it said 960 people were currently viewing this forum that's a lot of people.
I am having trouble with my well the pump will come on and run fine but I am not getting any water. I've done a lot of searching on the net but I haven't found anything that has helped as most of what I found dose not seam to be about my type of well so I will try to explain a little about it.

I've been told it is an old type well where their is the well itself coming out of the ground with the pump on top. That is where the electric wire connects to a relay that turns the pump on and off a pipe from there has some type of valve there with a pressure gage on the side. I called it a valve but I am not sure if that is what it is or not it has a long screw on top of it that is real tight and don't want to turn although I haven't tried to hard till I find out what it is l am not sure if it is an adjustment screw or a plug. Than I have the holding tank witch is currently empty it has an old type air control valve on the side of it that is a clear plastic unit with a little ball inside (I as told this is the old type). The air control valve has a hose that goes from the acv to the pump.
So far I have replaced the acv and the hose but s
till no water.
I've read that it might need to be primed but I am not sure how to prime or where to prime it at. I have also been asked if it could be out of water. I don't know how deep it is but none of my neighbors are having any problems with their wells and we have had some rain lately and we aren't any serious drought going on here now.
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as many details as I can. Thanks

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
picture would be worth a thousand words. sounds like u have a deepwell jet pump, likely on an older 2" well. is the pump motor verticle or horizontal? did the power go out recently? be sure the new fittings and hose are tight and yes you will need to prime the pump. the valve with the screw u referred to is a pressure regulator.. first kill power. Should be a plug or gauge near the top of it.. remove and pour water in that hole until water stays at the top. may take 1 gallon, or it may take several. then replace the plug/gauge and power on. if u pour more than 15-20 gallons there is a problem. either the foot valve is hung open or the well casing is rusted out. good luck

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks