Hot water slow flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Chad

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my hot water flowing slowly. The lines(copper) are in the floor(slab) and the WH is in a non-heated room. The problem only occurs when the outside temp is around 40 or lower. It seldom gets below freezing. I am replacing the WH next week with a Rheem 40gal, but should I be looking for other problems? Also, the WH is installed backwards in a corner (cannot get to elements or valve), so I assume it has never been cleaned. Only owned the house for 2 years. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Let me be sure I understand you.
Your saying if the temp outdoors goes below 40F, lets say 35F, the amount/speed of the water coming out of any faucet or the tub spout slows down. Do I have it right.

Is it just the hot side or both cold and hot.

Chad

Reaction score
I know it sounds strange... It is only the hot. You are correct on the outside temp and the hot water slows... almost to nothing. Any ideas?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When did all this start? Did you have any work done on the house prior to this starting?

Last edited:

Chad

Reaction score
It was this way when we got the house as far as I know. We got the house in march 2004 and its already in the 70's by then. The house sat empty for 5 years before we bought it.

If I scratch my head anymore, I will be left with just shoulders!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Where does the water come in the house. Is the main shutoff with/in the same room as the waterheater?

Chad

Reaction score
I honestly do not know where the main enters the house. The only shut-off is the main. All the pipes go down the walls and into the slab.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
O.K. here is where we start. Have a boiler drain installed above the heater on the cold water side. After it is installed check and see if the slow flow is B4 the water enters the heater or after it goes through the heater. That will help isolate where the problem is coming from. Do you know how old the heater is? If no get the brand name Mod # and Ser.# off the heater.

Chad

Reaction score
The main shut-off is out by the street. As for the boiler drain, my new WH will be here on Wed. I have no idea the age, model #, or serial # of the current one. The WH is in a corner with the front turned into the corner, making it impossible to even see the name. I have to replumb everything going to the WH so I can put it in the correct way, so I will test the inlet line at that time. I will let you know what I find at that time. I GREATLY appreciate your insight.

Thank you,
Chad

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the temp is not low enough to test for low flow, or your just not sure about the flow, install the boiler drain. For the extra cost, $5.00 max, it is worth having. There may come a time when you wish you had one there anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks