Remodeling Forums ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
What other forums do ya'll go to for *theory* and design....

Love the info over at contracttalk and jlc for certain trades.
Not DIY friendly crowd....

I've got friends who are architects but they're too busy for me to get into my OCD'ness - I research to death, till I even execute.

U can easy spot a DIY job with a trained eye. Sometimes, things just conflict with each other and or just plain wrong from a *design* standpoint. Just seeking info as always...

Chefwong

Reaction score
BTW, what prompted this.
Installers who don't really F@#$)( care.

I had new stairs installed today. The guys who built it in the shop are artist.
Looks amazing.
The guy who's installing and using a Miter Saw without a bag on it (even though its a unfinished space) with high-hats, and finished living space a floor above...I'm just a little po'ed on

I DIY when I can. Takes me months longer (weekend warrior). If time will allow the project to run that long, I DIY. Corners are square to the 1/16th, walls are close to a Level 5 finish, and more importantly, I hook a vac to the dust port.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Miter Saw with No Bag in a finished home.......cutting indoors.
Hey, if it's acceptable by you, then so be it.

There is a reason saws come with a dust bag at the very minimum.
My trim hooks up his vac to his..

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Okay, but a half hour of vacuuming would solve this problem.

Not a big deal.

If it was black oil based paint splattered all over everything I could see you making a thread about it on the internet.

If they beat the crap out of your walls hauling the materials in, I could see you making a thread about it on the internet.

If they left for the day without telling you that they hadn't finished the stairs, and your pregnant wife fell down them and hurt herself, I could see you making a thread about it.

But sawdust, REALLY?

Get over it, there's much bigger things to worry about these days.

lynnbrwn

Reaction score
not too sure which types of forums you are looking for but I found this forum a good resource as well as remodelcrazy.com. Hope you find what you are looking for.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Okay, but a half hour of vacuuming would solve this problem.

Not a big deal.

If it was black oil based paint splattered all over everything I could see you making a thread about it on the internet.

If they beat the crap out of your walls hauling the materials in, I could see you making a thread about it on the internet.

If they left for the day without telling you that they hadn't finished the stairs, and your pregnant wife fell down them and hurt herself, I could see you making a thread about it.

But sawdust, REALLY?

Get over it, there's much bigger things to worry about these days.

Sorry, but I agree strongly with the Chef. Somebody comes into my house, they need to keep things clean. It's a matter of respect.

A half hour to vacuum is not so bad, but it takes LOTS longer than that if there is anything in the room other than 4 walls and a floor. The stuff gets ALL over the place; not as bad as sheetrock/ spackle dust, but bad enough to get upset. But the Chef's room was empty, good thing

Chefwong

Reaction score
FWIW, I love the high level talk over at **************. Good stuff - and while I'm not in the trades, in my line of work, I have oversawn quite a few buildouts...
Wish I would join, and no offense to the honest to god pros who like to chat and engage in just knowledge talk - like most pro only forums, they scuff at DIY'ers.

Sadly, if I could build the level of stairs that these guys did for me, I would have.
I try to DIY alot of things. I've got a cabinentmaker who is worth it's weight in gold, but everything else, out here in Gotham City, unless you have Deep Deep Pockets, there are no decent contractors at anything above premium pricing. The low and *middle* contractors have skill sets and finish workmanship in which the market has demanded....

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a "dust bag" on my miter saw. I doubt that it catches even 10% of the sawdust. I tried connecting my vacuum cleaner in place of the dust bag and it wasn't any better.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Different Saws - Different Dust Level.
The new Milwaukee is pretty good...

My Festool Kapex with a vac port does at least 90% !

-----

Forum seems to ban certain sites, but the forums that is *** is ctalk

bassmasterskip

Reaction score
You are absol;utly correct

Whenever you are working in a occupyed space with peoples propery and articles around you should never show disrespect to them and ceertainly not to your class of workmanship. Down here in Florida they are fmous for that. Let the homeowner or the next contractor clean their mess. When ever I left my jobsite you never would know I was or still working on the site and if my men did not follow the same practice they were not my men any longer

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What other forums do ya'll go to for *theory* and design....

I do NOT go to any other forums to "learn" theory and design. I go where I can dispense knowledge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks