Softener/treatment system guidance

Users who are viewing this thread

Llavey

Reaction score
Hello,

I am requesting some guidance for a computer-less friend. If you need additional information to help me I'll do my best, here is what I know...

He has a cabin in northern WI and is looking for information on what to do to prevent the rust stains that he is getting on his fixtures. the well is 1 year old. Water does not have any oder, Water usage is very low. Only one person and I don't think he is doing any laundry there yet. Any recomendations should be based on on low - medium use for two adults. His water tested as follows:

pH 6.6
Hardness 2.0
Iron 1.4
Nitrogen 1.0

no softener, or filters of any kind are currently installed.

Thanks for your ideas and recommendations.
Link

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I would suggest a backwashed AN filter which would add 2-4 gpg of hardness to the 2 gpg and then a softener to remove the hardness and iron. The AN filter may remove some iron.

By nitrogen I think you mean nitrate or nitrite. If it is nitrite that is serious and it should be removed because the EPA MCL is 1 ppm and 10 ppm for nitrate with the combination of the two not to exceed 10 ppm. At least that is what it used to be.

He should have a Coliform bacteria test.

Llavey

Reaction score
Gary,

Thank you. I assume you are correct about the nitrate, I'll confirm his test results and do a little more research before continuing my request for assistance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks