(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Dimmer Switches - What's a good choice?

Hybrid View

Default Dimmer Switches - What's a good choice?

I'm going to be putting in quite a few recessed lights in the kitchen, dining room, and living room. I would like to use a dimmer at least in the dining and living rooms, partly because there will be a light fixture over the dining table and would want to dim for tv watching in the living room.

I need to stay with something that will fit in the small, traditional style cover plate, and I really do not care for the rotary dimmers. So that leaves me with something like the following:

http://www.lutron.com/Products/Stand...es/Models.aspx

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...61_ti061l.html

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Secti...minisite=10251

At first I really liked the Lutron but then read a review online that said the little plastic slider broke easily, and I can see me with my clumsy hands doing so if that is the case. The Cooper looks simple but does not have the preset. And the Leviton has the digital preset which would be ok but I'm not a big fan of the LED (but it would be ok).

The only other thing that caught my attention is that Lutron makes a CL line that supposedly works with dimmable CFL's and LED's. I still haven't made up my mind if I am going to use incandescent or CFL's at this point. I would probably go with incandescent but the heat is a major factor, but maybe dimming would negate some of that. Still, I hate to put in dimmers that would not work with the new CFL and LED technology.

So, thoughts???
    Travis

When I need a precise measurement of something I often use the highly technical method of eyeballing it.

quote; I still haven't made up my mind if I am going to use incandescent or CFL's at this point.

You may not have a choice. California is banning incandescent bulbs, and the manufacturers are also phasing them out. The last incandescent manufacturer in the USA stopped making 100 watt bulbs a few months ago, and eventually the rest will be gone also.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's a link to an older dimmer discussion

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...mer-burned-out

I've been buying more CFL's, so it made sense to buy a dimmer that works both ways.

I like not having to change bulbs so often for some locations in the home, and I can choose between soft light and also the ones for reading. As I get older, I like the florescent for reading.
    Last edited by Terry; 02-06-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Terry, that is the same Lutron dimmer I was looking at, just in the smaller traditional style. Have you used it with dimmable CFL's? If so, what kind of CFL's and how do you like it?

I was reading that there is some difference in dimming quality between different bulbs. I guess I would ideally like to use flourescent R30 bulbs so they look good in the cans.
    Travis

When I need a precise measurement of something I often use the highly technical method of eyeballing it.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I installed that switch mainly for the future.
    Right now I'm using the old bulbs on it. I noticed the other day that 3 of the 5 were burned out. It looks like it's time to switch the bulbs to florescent and see how it works.
    It seems like I just installed incandescents the other day. That is the downside alright. My hall and garage lights are all florescent. They last incredibly long.
    Last edited by Terry; 02-06-2012 at 07:51 PM.

It would probably be worth it in my case as well to go with something that will work in the future, i.e. dimmable CFL's. If so, that pretty much narrows my options.

Much appreciated Terry.
    Travis