CPVC for Dummies....

Users who are viewing this thread

gtpvette

Reaction score
OK,, I'm the dummy. I'm replacing all of the Polybutelene water supply pipes in my weekend mobile home with CPVC. The plan is to do it in stages,, with the water heater and the kitchen being the first to get done. So a couple of questions to make sure I'm heading down the right path.

I'm installing a new water heater. The current thought is to use a transition piece to plumb the water heater. What I mean is one half of the piece is a metal male fitting that would screw into the water heater (hot and cold sides) the other half is a female ¾" CPVC glue fitting. Is this a good way to do this?

Like this.

sharkbite-poly-pex-coupling-2.jpg

In looking at the faucet valves at Lowes yesterday the only one they had was what looked to be a glue fitting. The best way???

Lastley I need to tie back into the new CPVC hot and cold lines 4 of the old flex pipes that supply both of the baths. I didn't see anything at Lowes,,, so would some type of SharkBite transition be the right solution?

Many Thanks!!
Fred

sharkbite-poly-pex-coupling.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the water heater is gas, you can't go right to it with plastic. You need 18" of copper, which could be a flex copper connector.

gtpvette

Reaction score
The heater is electric,, but could still do the copper flex pipe if required.

gtpvette

Reaction score
Installed the water heater and spliced in the old lines with the shark bites. All is great except the drip where I tied the PVC and the CPVC together for the cold water supply. I used this:

Transition-Adapter-5UEC9_AS01.JPG

and tied it to a threaded female PVC connection. This is where it drips. I was afraid to over tighten as I didn't want to crack the female PVC connector. It seemed tight. I did use teflon tape. Was that wrong? Ideas?

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks