Needs help in replacing angle stop on 3/8" brass nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

reyn

Reaction score
angle stops.jpg
I want to replace this angle stop with one of those quarter turn stops. Can I use the sharkbite
on this pipe? Thanks for any help.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
You can do whatever you want, but why would you want to use a sharkbite when you have a compression stop there already?

reyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to "update" the look. There used to be a vanity in that spot and I'm replacing it with
a pedestal. I guess my question would be, can I cut the pipe and just put in a sharkbite?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sharkbites are not the best mousetrap. Yes, they work, and yes, they serve a purpose. Compression stops are the plumbers' first choice followed by sweat fittings. Compression is the easiest and is a safe and sure connection. Sweat joints work great, are very safe and sure, but do require care in installing when working in tight space and/or close to a wall. Since you already have a compression joint, why change?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
No you cannot use a sharkbite on that pipe. Thats a 3/8" chromed plated brass nipple. It has male threads on each end. You need a 3/8" fip x 3/8" o.d compression angle stop. It will screw on the existing pipe or if the existing pipe is too long you can buy shorter nipples and replace the one thats there now. It should unscrew out of the wall. Dont forget to turn the water off and drain down the pipes.

Those brass nipples have a tendency to break at the threads so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The stop should unscrew from the chromed brass nipple. Or, if you're not careful, it will unscrew in the wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, but the other end of that pipe is also (very likely) screwed into a fitting in the wall so you'll need to hold it from turning while unscrewing the valve.

Pull the eschution out from the wall and put a pair of pliers there where the nicks and scratches you might put on it won't show.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you're installing a pedestal lav, you may want to get a shorter nipple for the drain.

Or something like this

trap_adapter_brass.jpg

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
If you're installing a pedestal lav, you may want to get a shorter nipple for the drain.

Thats a good tip. No way that would connect like it is. if he could get that nipple out he may could use a 1.5 pvc male trap adpater and a 1.5" female trap adapter and solvent weld them together makign a short nipple that tubular would connect to.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; could use a 1.5 pvc male trap adpater and a 1.5" female trap adapter and solvent weld them together makign a short nipple

Isn't that making a "close nipple" the hard way. Besides, the "thread" on a trap adapter is not meant to screw into a fitting. He would have to put an "O" ring over the thread to squeeze against the cast iron fitting to seal it. He can just buy a 1 1/2"xclose galvanized nipple, but what he really needs is a brass 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" brass trap adapter

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
quote; could use a 1.5 pvc male trap adpater and a 1.5" female trap adapter and solvent weld them together makign a short nipple

Isn't that making a "close nipple" the hard way. He can just buy a 1 1/2"xclose galvanized nipple, but what he really needs is a brass 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" brass trap adapter

No that would be making it the easy way and its commonly found....especially in my service van. How long does it take to solvent weld a joint? How much does plastic cost compared to metal? Sch. 40 pvc installed correctly will outlast the rest of his piping.

You could use 1.5 and solvent weld it into a 1.25 trap adapter. No pipe needed. The fittings solvent weld one into another.

The threads will work fine. A 1.5 slip joint nut will screw onto a copper male adapter. The same slip joint nut will screw onto the plastic trap adapter. The same copper adapter would screw into his tee. Conclusion......the threads are the same and will work perfectly.

It works without issues.

Last edited:

reyn

Reaction score
you've read my mind terry. that's my next issue. that drain really looks ugly. i really dont want
to mess with it (i.e. remove it). i'm thinking to dress it up, i'll do escutcheon, a sched 40 dwv pvc,
1.5 p-trap adapter in this order. what do you think people?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks