(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: delta shower rough valve installation

DIY Junior Member ratherbefishing's Avatar

Default delta shower rough valve installation

I hate to ask such a basic question, but....

I'm about to install my new Delta R1000 rough valve. What size wood do you guys use for the stringer? By my arithmetic, it looks like it should be about 1.5 inches from the back of the studs. Shower framing is 2x4s, 1/2" permabase, Kerdi, 1/4" thick tiles. Does my math sound right?

I know the second one of these I install will be a piece of cake. But this is the first.

Thanx!

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
    I hate to ask such a basic question, but....

I'm about to install my new Delta R1000 rough valve. What size wood do you guys use for the stringer? By my arithmetic, it looks like it should be about 1.5 inches from the back of the studs. Shower framing is 2x4s, 1/2" permabase, Kerdi, 1/4" thick tiles. Does my math sound right?

I know the second one of these I install will be a piece of cake. But this is the first.

Thanx!
    The valve should have a rough in guide. Its black plastic and snaps onto the brass body. The finished wall should be flush with the guides front edge. I use a 2x4 or a 2x6.

Remember to orientate the valve correctly...it has and up and down.

I guess you lost the instruction sheet already?

DIY Junior Member ratherbefishing's Avatar

I have the instructions. After I found some stonger glasses to read the tiny print, they still seemed kinda cryptic to a first timer. Online is easier; larger print! But harder to carry to the jobsite. Then I guess I had a late night brain fart. 1.5 inches from the back of the studs = 2x4. That makes sense, Delta. And it worked out even better. The "similar threads" at the bottom of the page answered my next question about soldering into the threaded inlet and outlet.

Thanx!

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

I'm about to install my new Delta R1000 rough valve...
    Does Delta make a 1000 series? I know they make a 10000 series cuz I have one. I know you can also download the instructions from the internet cuz I did just that. It spec's 70mm from the front of the plaster guard.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Online is easier; larger print! But harder to carry to the jobsite.
    Ja, but you can zoom it and print it.Name:  DSP-B-T17038_Rev_A_df49.jpg
Views: 8355
Size:  61.4 KB

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

I have the instructions. After I found some stonger glasses to read the tiny print, they still seemed kinda cryptic to a first timer. Online is easier; larger print! But harder to carry to the jobsite. Then I guess I had a late night brain fart. 1.5 inches from the back of the studs = 2x4. That makes sense, Delta. And it worked out even better. The "similar threads" at the bottom of the page answered my next question about soldering into the threaded inlet and outlet.

Thanx!
    1.5" from the back of the studs doesn't mean anything. The valve should have came with a plastic rough in guide. You set the valve in the wall with the front edge of the black plastic guide so that it will be flush with the finished wall.

Its really that simple.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

All of these valves have a min/max on the rough-in. If it is installed with the finished wall between min/max or the rough-in plaster guard device, the trim will fit BUT, if you are at one end or the other, you MAY NOT LIKE IT! So, temporarily, put it together with the trim to see how much of the shaft/handle you want sticking out, then measure, and mount the valve there. There are LOTS of people here that have posted complaining about how it looks (not how it functions) because they didn't mock it up first. To the manufactuer, if it fits, it's right. To the consumer, they usually, don't like it at either extreme. The engineer's version of min/max may not meet the fashion design sense of the user. CHECK IT FIRST!
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

quote; It spec's 70mm from the front of the plaster guard.

We do not use metric in the USA. But if we did 7 cm would be easier to read on the ruler. When installing any recessed valve, you measure from the "face" of the finished wall back, because that is the only "positive" measurement you have.
    Last edited by hj; 02-06-2012 at 05:31 AM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

W/ delta, better to be too deep or too shallow (if you gonna mess up). I've installed extension kits when valve too deep or tile changed at last minute but have never had to correct one too shallow. I guess the only solution would be to reset the whole body?

Delta give you 1/16 or so to play w/ on the normal trim kits? tia

I'm installing the R10000, and after mocking it up, the handle sticks out too far, so we would need to install it about a 1/4" -3/8" deeper into the wall. However now the problem is that using a 2x4 as the stringer, the stringer won't be flush between the studs, it would also need to be pushed further back.

Is there any problem using a thinner hardwood as the stringer, allowing it to remain flush with the studs. I was thinking something like 1x3 oak, which is still rigid/hard enough to mount the valve too.

thanks,

1 x 3 PINE would be adequate. You are not going to be hitting it with a sledge hammer. In fact, once the trim plate is attached and tightened up, the backing may be incidental anyway.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Backing for plumbing fixtures - 3/4" plywood

post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-17-2014 at 05:16 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Since the depth will be greater by about 1/4" outside the max specified depth, does this affect the operation? What happens if the valve is too deep?

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-17-2014 at 05:16 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.