Discovered a dummy outside air vent

Users who are viewing this thread

brunetmj1

Reaction score
While in my attic looking for a place to run new electrical wires I noticed the air vent coming through the roof down to the upstairs bathroom
was broken. To my knowledge this was the only air vent in this system. I looked around to see if the air vent broke off in some adjoining wall but found no trace of that.
This system ( toilet,tub and wash basin) seems to have been in place for many years and it functions just fine , I have never noticed any kind of slow draining or sewer smells. It is almost a straight run from the upstairs toilet to the waste stack in the basement. When I discussed this with a friend he said it must be venting somewhere! However I see no evidence of this. I cannot actually see much of the plumbing in this bathroom because , to create it , they built a wood step up with all the pipes below this wood structure.

So my question is can a drain/waste system function without an outside vent? I know in theory it needs a vent, but are there cases where it could work without one?

Now last year , when creating a new downstairs bathroom, I added an outside vent thinking it was just an adjunct to the old one. However the system above has functioned just fine for at least 15 years before I bought this house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From your description, I do not know if you have a vent into the attic that does not go through the roof, or no vent at all up to the attic. But, I cannot see any reason to go to the trouble of installing a "dummy" vent if it served no purpose. A system "can" operate without an 'outside' vent, most of the time, but under certain conditions you will have drainage problems. I am not even sure that you are making the correct diagnosis regarding the presence or lack of a vent.

brunetmj1

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear. I have only 1 outside vent on my roof of the second story side . While in the attic I discovered it does not go anywhere. It's broken. I never knew that before because the broken end was buried in attic insulation. Until this discovery I had always assumed it went to the pipes in the upstairs bathroom for venting.
So if I understand your reply the answer is yes, a system can exist without outside venting BUT under certain conditions it could cause problems.
So now for a second question. I did put in an outside vent on my downstairs bathroom. Would having this working air vent prevent these problems?
What is at stake here is if someone said absolutely yes ! This upstairs bathroom must be vented I would have to totally pull apart the upstairs bathroom including the floor to gain access to the pipes. If this system existed and worked for at least 15 years before I added this second vent i was hoping I could avoid this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks