30" electric freestanding range wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Must all range outlets be 50 amp plugs with 6 gauge or larger wire, or may I use 8 gauge wire if I have a range that has a maximum draw of 38 AMPS? Using thhn copper in conduit for the run, about 30 feet.

I would guess the answer is what will the next guy plug into it, or is there a dedicated 40 amp plug-cord set?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can't help on the gauge, but keep in mind any new wiring should be for a four-wire plug: two hots, neutral, and ground. Only when you are reusing an existing 3-wire circuit can you keep it, not on a new one. this may affect the size of the conduit you use.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Using #8 THHN copper you could use a 50 amp breaker and receptacle but if you wanted to you could use a 40 amp breaker and receptacle.

I doesn’t matter what “might” happen with someone else all that matters is what you are connecting at the time.

The one thing I always teach to the inspectors that take my class is that they are inspectors not expect-ors so what might happen does not matter.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Apparently there is such a thing as a 40 amp plug and cord, according to this offered by whirlpool: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PT220.html

That is true. Standard NEMA receptacles for 120/240 appliances are 30 amp and 50 amp. Of course, you can use a 20 amp, or 40 amp, breaker as the appliance dictates. Wiring must be sufficient for the receptacle used, not just for the breaker.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Gentlemen

The breaker is installed to protect the conductors not the receptacle. It would be perfectly legal to install a 40 amp breaker and a 50 amp receptacle for a range Table 210.21(B)(3).

What would not be legal would be to install a 50 amp breaker and a 40 amp receptacle.

Many AC units throughout this nation are wired with less than a 60 amp conductor and overcurrent device that land in a 60 amp no-fuse disconnect legally.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Gentlemen

The breaker is installed to protect the conductors not the receptacle. It would be perfectly legal to install a 40 amp breaker and a 50 amp receptacle for a range Table 210.21(B)(3).

What would not be legal would be to install a 50 amp breaker and a 40 amp receptacle.
Absolutely correct. I have never wired up a 40A recpt for a range. Never. Not once.

Many AC units throughout this nation are wired with less than a 60 amp conductor and overcurrent device that land in a 60 amp no-fuse disconnect legally.
That's different, they don't plug in. ;-)

JWelectric

Reaction score
A receptacle and a cord cap is nothing more than a means of disconnect. Other than the physical shape of the two there is no difference between a receptacle and a no-fuse disconnect

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks