Cleaning off flux [better late than never]

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylor

Reaction score
Soldered all the pipes of my main bathroom, got good input from here and will post pix when I am closer to completion.... At the end, exhausted, figured I'd wipe off the flux the next day, or the day after.... Anyway a few months later, putting on the pipe insulation and I see the tell-tale signs of green....

So my quick question is, is there a recommended way to clean off flux that has dried onto the pipe at this point? I've tried soap and water and a rag, the pipes still feel sticky in places (I had flux on my gloves as I was handling the pipes). At this point I'm thinking white vinegar and a pot scrubber, unless someone informs me of the error of my ways....

Taylor

Reaction score
Oh boy.....

Drain the water first?

Do this the entire length of the pipe? I was handling it with flux-covered gloves, that stuff is messy. Although green is localized, I assume it may appear in other places later, like where pipe is sticky.

Any danger of accidentally undoing joints (solder flows out when I heat it)?

I've been able to remove green with a pot scrubber, just wonder if this is good enough. I know white vinegar recommended for cleaning up copper ornaments. Also heard of baking soda in water....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does alcohol disolve it? I know that is what I use on electronics to remove the flux (but that is rosin, not acid based).

Taylor

Reaction score
Reporting back: I can report that white vinegar and a pot scrubber do a good job of removing the green. It also restored a nice shiny lustre to the copper. Seems a shame now to cover with insulation and a floor.....

Thanks all for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks