shaking pipes, PRV?

Users who are viewing this thread

djwehr

Reaction score
the pipes in my house have recently started to shake when 2 or more fixtures are turned on at the same time. you can see a noticeable drop in water pressure at the taps. There is a PRV already installed at the supply line before the water meter. when the toilet is flushed there is noticeable surging sound in the general area of the water meter and the PRV. adjusting the prv up or down does not change the surging sound, but once fixtures are shut off the sound stops.Could this be a bad PRV, or is it possibly something wrong with the water meter?

djwehr

Reaction score
thank you HJ, gonna call the City Water Department and see if it is their or mine, seeing it is before the meter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At least where I live, it's rare that the prv would be before the meter. Maybe your area has extremely high water pressure, and the supplier put one in. Normally, that equipment is the responsibility of the homeowner...be interesting to see what's the case with yours. It's not uncommon for the utility to put a check valve there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NOrmally, anything ahead of the meter is the water company's, (the reason being that if it leaks the water is not being paid for so the homeowner has no incentive to pay to repair it), but every utility has its own parameters.

djwehr

Reaction score
had a plumber come out and confirm the prv is faulty. had 112psi static pressure, but said it dropped to 40psi when both sinks in master bath were turned on. said 80% chance it is just due to the prv, but something else may contribute to the drop in pressure.

the prv is mine. the city's responibility stops at the property line with the exclusion of the meter, which is located in the home rather than a meter box at the property line. I have 112psi in my area. the new prv should be in today and i will install asap.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should check your thermal expansion tank while you are in this process. Rap on the tank. If is has a dull "thunk", it's full of water and needs replacing. If it has a ringing sound, it's OK.

djwehr

Reaction score
ok, replaced the prv and shaking is gone. set prv to 65 psi. is it normall for the pressure to drop to 40-45psi when toilet or faucet is open? it recovers once water is shut off.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Depends somewhat on where you are measuring the pressure. If there is a flow problem and you were asking the system to dispense more water than it could, possibly, but that seems excessive for either of those, typically, low-volume uses. A rust clogged galvanized supply line could easily have a flow problem, but assuming you are measuring things properly, that seems excessive.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Make sure that the main shutoff(s) is fully open to enable maximum flow rates.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
ok, replaced the prv and shaking is gone. set prv to 65 psi. is it normall for the pressure to drop to 40-45psi when toilet or faucet is open? it recovers once water is shut off.

I have 70 psi at my backyard hose bibb. I turned on my K-sink and a lavatory. I didn't measure the flow but I was getting great flow out of both fixtures. I went out and checked and I still had 70psi at the hose bibb.

I have a 1" pvc water main that runs 50' and about 35' of 3/4" copper then it drops to 1/2" type l copper for about 20'. A few fittings. No difference in elevation.

Compared to mine.....yours is sick unless your along way from the meter or at a much higher elevation.

Last edited:

djwehr

Reaction score
think i may call the City, have them check their meter strainer for debris and what not. other than that I cant imagine what could be wrong.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
think i may call the City, have them check their meter strainer for debris and what not. other than that I cant imagine what could be wrong.

If there is a strainer then thats likely the problem or you have a valve partially closed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks