(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Installing a Shower Panel

Blog Entries

Default Installing a Shower Panel

First plumbing forum post, so here goes. I'm currently remodeling a bathroom and plan on installing a shower panel (Lyria Thermostatic from SigHardware, 1/2" FIP). for the hot and cold water supply to the panel, what plumbing pipes/parts should be used? By googling, I see that drop ear elbows and 1/2" IPS piping is suggested to bring the plumbing past the tile. My concern is having full/continuous house water pressure on threaded connections behind the wall. Is this a concern?, maybe I'm just brainwashed to think all pressurized plumbing hidden behind wall/cement board is to be soldered. thx

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A properly made threaded connection is as watertight as any other method. Depending on what's on the panel, since it likely has both hot and cold connections, you can't have threaded connections on both ends, since there's no way to rotate the panel. There are some threaded connections that would work, though. The ID of the pipe is the same whether it is a threaded nipple or a soldered pipe connection. What's best for this situation would be determined by exactly how the thing was designed, and can't see that.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

Hi Jim, The link for the panel is http://www.signaturehardware.com/product17066, as a fyi. The panel water lines are 2 flexible SS lines, the panel connection to the water supply from the wall would be 1/2" FPT (panel) to 1/2" MPT (supply). Thanks for the comment on hidden threaded connection. Paul

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

See if you can find the manufactuer's website and point to the installation instructions...this would give more useful install info. Looks nice, no experience with that brand, so can't say much of anything with that regard.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014